Autoimmune Disorders Community

Sjogrens

I was recently diagnosed with Sjogrens Syndrome. In addition to this, I have herniated discs in my neck, a bone spur on a disc, and degenerative disc disease (osteoarthritis). Years ago, doctors told me I had fibermyalgia too. I'm only 33. I'm already experienceing dry eyes, dry mouth, joint and muscle pain, and memory problems. What am I to expect and what kind of treatment is there for Sjogrens?
sunshine0428
Thomasville, NC
Some people get relief from Sjogrens by following a gluten free diet.  You'll need to follow the diet meticulously to see if it helps you.  I would stick to the diet for about three months and see how you feel.  Some people get relief from fibromyalgia with this diet also.  Many nutrients are not absorbed if you have food intolerances and this can produce many problems in the body.  If you'd like to try it, make sure you medications are gluten free and your vitamins (Nature Made is gluten free).  Look the diet up on the internet - no wheat, barley, rye or oats.  Use rice and potatoes and fruit and veggies and protein and fats.  I also read that magnesium deficiency can sometimes be part of the fibromyalgia picture.  I hope this helps you!!  Hang in there!