Autoimmune Disorders Forum

Relationship btw Alopecia areata and Vitiligo?

Hello!
     My father has Vitiligo and has no pigment in his skin or hair (all over his body).  I was recently diagnosed with Alopecia areata and was wondering if there is a connection.  Also, he said the doctor told him the type of cancer he got (Non-Hodgkin's Lymphona) is more prevelant in people with autoimmune diseases.  Is this true?
Yes, it is true.  Several autoimmune conditions, such as Sjogren's syndrome, thyroiditis, and rheumatoid arthritis, have consistently been linked to malignant or non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

I do not know of a connection between alopecia and vitiligo.

Prof. Garth Nicolson
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.
A deeper look into the relationship between salt and hypertension.