Autonomic Dysfunction Community

Flare up after EMG?

Hello. I am new to this board. I have been searching for a diagnosis for 4 years and two weeks ago finally got some answers. It seems I have several overlapping autoimmune diseases. At this point, I am told I have mild myositis, autonomic neuropathy and fibromyalgia. At the beginning of my journey (4 years ago), I had a very bad episode that we now know was a stroke. I was only 41 at the time. Anyways, the doctor feels I may have had a touch of vasculitis at that time that attacked a blood vessel causing a blockage, thus resulting in the stroke.

So having explained that, I had an EMG two weeks ago. The day after and continuing until now, my symptoms got much worse.  I appear to be in quite a flare up - burning in my hip/pelvic area, legs predominantly but also in my spine and arms at times. When I stand, it aggravates it and is so uncomfortable it makes me want to sit right back down. Also, my fatigue is worse, the malar flushing is more often and my legs feel terribly weak.  I am also having a harder time urinating - takes a while and I have to concentrate.

So my question is, has anyone else had a flare up of symptoms after an EMG and/or nerve conduction test? The nurse (of the neuromuscular specialist) says that there are no side effects from these tests and seemed very doubtful of my reaction. My family doctor, however, feels it threw my nervous system into overdrive. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this. What do I do? I'm on 10 mg prednisone, was taking Tramadol 1x/day, but doctor said to take every 6 hours now for the pain, also on Lyrica 75 mg 2x/day and 150 mg at night.  I would appreciate any help.  Thank you for reading...
I am also Dx with fibromyal, I had an EMG and. Nerve conduction study done on tuesday and before I could make it home I was sick. I've been in bed with the worse flare up I've ever experienced for 72 hours. The neurologist denies that it's related to the test. I am once again being treated like a hypochondriac..
I’m so sorry to hear that! Mine lasted a couple of weeks if I remember right. The nurse said it wasn’t from that but when I saw the neurologist he said he wasn’t surprised. Did he say if he found any abnormalities?
The neurologist that did the test said I have a pinched nerve in my lower back and my neck. I was sent to have test by a podiatrist to check for nueropathy in my feet. I had C5&6 removed already by a neurosurgeon. I called him and he said the test could make me sick due to fibro
I had neuropathic pain and an EMG nerve conduction test put everything ON FIRE. It took months for it to subside.