Breast pumps??

I'm currently pregnant with baby #2 and plan to breastfeed. I briefly breastfed with the first but neither of us could quite get the hang of it. This time I really want it to work out. What are breast pumps for? Like what is the sole purpose? Is it worth getting one? Just there's a really good deal on an electric pump atm and its worth getting if they have significant use. Any thoughts/personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Breast pumps are for when you want to store milk to give to your little one in a bottle later. Doing this can cause nipple confusion so is not recommended until after you have established your nursing relationship. You can also choose to only give bottles with breast milk in it you do not have to nurse. It will also help when you are weaning so you do not become engorged. Also if baby picks a favorite boob,like my son did and won't eat off the other one you can pump that one and store the milk.
Thankyou very much! ☺ so say the nursing doesn't work out... I could exclusively feed via expressing and bottle feeding? Is this realistic? Or will it be hard work? Like this may sound a stupid question, would I get much milk via expressing? How often will I be doing it and for how long etc. Thanks for all the advice ☺
I had my second child at 29 weeks so i had to pump for the 2 months we were in the NICU. You pump every 3-4 hours for about 40 minutes, once your milk comes in you will be able to pump far more than baby needs. Upon leaving the hospital I had 4 moving boxes of frozen breastmilk to bring home. And yes it is hard. It hurts and it's exhausting but you do what you have to for baby.
its not reccommended to pump before your milk regulates....
but if you have clogged ducts a pump helps to get them out
You want to establish a nursing relationship before you start pumping because your milk caters to your baby's needs by their saliva and by doing skin to skin contact and things along those lines it's very rare for women not to be able to breastfeed for medical reasons so I wouldn't be too worried about it just yet and I wouldn't beat yourself up over not being able to breastfeed if you're unable to or choose not to you don't want to supplement with formula and go back and forth with breastmilk and formula only in the bottle that can really upset their stomach you want to keep it really consistent if you can so if for example with my son he was in the NICU for 3 weeks and I would nurse him but I would also pump milk for the nurses to give him bottles of my breast milk and it worked out fine and he actually nursed until he was 2 years old he started taking the bottle pretty easily at about nine months after our nursing relationship was already established I would do a little bit of research if I were you talk to a lactation consultant if you need to and just discover how your milk changes to cater to your baby it's actually extremely amazing
If you have health insurance, they will pay for a breast pump (like the expensive high quality Medela ones). But they won't fork out the money until after baby is born. Check with your health insurance provider. You shouldn't need it until after your milk comes in, and mine shipped in like 2 days. I had to return back to work and wanted to keep BF for at least 1 year, so the pump came in handy. Plus I would pump early in the first month, because the nurse at the hospital suggested pumping at least enough for 1 feeding a day so that hubby could take 1 feeding and I could rest.
Another mother later suggested the platex inserts into regular feeding bottles because they caused the baby to work hard for the milk, mine was definitely a guzzler. Mine didn't have nipple confusion, but she said some babies just like getting the milk faster from the bottle than from the breast. I'm going to try the inserts with this baby.
It depends on the insurance.  With mine, I was able to get the pump 30 days before the due date.  
My insurance company approved and shipped (I received it last week) my pump and I am 24 weeks pregnant. So it will just depend on your insurance company.
I opted for the Spectra- which is a closed system - hospital grade double pump.
Just contact your insurance company and they can explain how your insurance works!
i;m currently pregnant and I think i;m gonna try doing both. Cloth for at home and disposable for night time and going out I guess i;ll see how it goes. But if I had to use a laundromat I don;t think i;d go for cloth.
Sorry that posted in wrong post

You are reading content posted in the Baby Products Community