Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

cloth diaper question

I'm a first time mom and adamant about using cloth diapers (g-diapers specifically).  And I'm wanting to get more first hand info about them. I want to do them instead of disposable ones, but my mom and fience don't think it's worth it. And I was wondering what you use for nighttime, and how to properly clean them besides getting the poop off with a sprayer and tossing in the washer.
Also how do you store them while your waiting to do laundry, for now we will be doing laundry at a laundry mat that's open 24/7? I would think you let them dry and then toss in a basket? Or am I wrong in thinking that? And how do you go about using cloth diapers while your out and about running errands etc. without them getting the been wet in a sealed container moldy smell? My mom suggested that I should use both, cloth while at home and disposable while we're out, and honestly I don't want to use disposable at all.
And how do you protect the baby's healing umbilical cord? I know disposable diapers usually have a little cutout things to go around it. But how do you use cloth diapers while its healing?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
As for the umbilical cord u can place a small piece of cloth over the belly button or simply fold the diaper down a little more. When traveling I suggest buying small scented trash bags to keep the dirties in. After rinsing the diapers out while your waiting to do laundry if u rinse them in a bit of cleanser and then place them in a hamper or scented bag they shouldn't get moldy
Helpful - 0
Tiny (newborn size) gDiapers have snap-downs in the front to pull the top of the diaper away from umbilical cord stump, makes that part easy anyway.
Buy a couple of small wetbags to put in the diaper bag for when you're out of the house... there are lots of brands (Fuzzibunz makes a great wetbag, there's even a small swatch of terry inside to soak with essential oils to help with any smelliness, and I like Itti Bitti ones too but there are tons more) and they can be thrown in the wash with your diapers so they don't get gross. I always used cloth when out and about, it's not any harder than disposables.
Buy a couple large pail liners (Fuzzibunz a good choice for those too) to put in a standard size diaper pail - if you have two, there's always a clean one even on laundry day. Some people swear that having a pail open at the top stinks less than a closed pail but I think it's safer to be closed especially when kiddo is mobile. That was when it's wash time you have everything already in a waterproof bag ready to go. They stay wet after being sprayed out so it's a good idea to wash every 2-3 days.
If you want your diapers to last (and stay pretty) avoid putting gPants or snap-in pouches in the dryer. The heat can damage the vinyl and the elastic. Inserts can go in the dryer no problem - though I prefer prefolds (specifically GMD prefolds) to gCloth - it just worked better for me. I would avoid drying wetbags as well. Just hang stuff up on a folding drying rack (that's what I used for storage and drying) or over the shower curtain rod as needed.
It's totally worth it. There's a learning curve but they're really quite simple once you get the hang of it - my husband tells all his friends who are expecting how they should use gDiapers and how easy they are. Check out cloth diaper swap/sell groups on facebook or go on craigslist to find good deals on gently used diapers - they usually (buyer beware) work just as well for a fraction of the price!
Helpful - 0
Thank you ladies for all this wonderful info!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Baby Products Community

Top Babies Answerers
287071 tn?1365192513
St. Paul, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Approaching your due date? Look for these signs of labor.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.