cloth diaper question

I'm a first time mom and adamant about using cloth diapers (g-diapers specifically).  And I'm wanting to get more first hand info about them. I want to do them instead of disposable ones, but my mom and fience don't think it's worth it. And I was wondering what you use for nighttime, and how to properly clean them besides getting the poop off with a sprayer and tossing in the washer.
Also how do you store them while your waiting to do laundry, for now we will be doing laundry at a laundry mat that's open 24/7? I would think you let them dry and then toss in a basket? Or am I wrong in thinking that? And how do you go about using cloth diapers while your out and about running errands etc. without them getting the been wet in a sealed container moldy smell? My mom suggested that I should use both, cloth while at home and disposable while we're out, and honestly I don't want to use disposable at all.
And how do you protect the baby's healing umbilical cord? I know disposable diapers usually have a little cutout things to go around it. But how do you use cloth diapers while its healing?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
As for the umbilical cord u can place a small piece of cloth over the belly button or simply fold the diaper down a little more. When traveling I suggest buying small scented trash bags to keep the dirties in. After rinsing the diapers out while your waiting to do laundry if u rinse them in a bit of cleanser and then place them in a hamper or scented bag they shouldn't get moldy
Helpful - 0
Tiny (newborn size) gDiapers have snap-downs in the front to pull the top of the diaper away from umbilical cord stump, makes that part easy anyway.
Buy a couple of small wetbags to put in the diaper bag for when you're out of the house... there are lots of brands (Fuzzibunz makes a great wetbag, there's even a small swatch of terry inside to soak with essential oils to help with any smelliness, and I like Itti Bitti ones too but there are tons more) and they can be thrown in the wash with your diapers so they don't get gross. I always used cloth when out and about, it's not any harder than disposables.
Buy a couple large pail liners (Fuzzibunz a good choice for those too) to put in a standard size diaper pail - if you have two, there's always a clean one even on laundry day. Some people swear that having a pail open at the top stinks less than a closed pail but I think it's safer to be closed especially when kiddo is mobile. That was when it's wash time you have everything already in a waterproof bag ready to go. They stay wet after being sprayed out so it's a good idea to wash every 2-3 days.
If you want your diapers to last (and stay pretty) avoid putting gPants or snap-in pouches in the dryer. The heat can damage the vinyl and the elastic. Inserts can go in the dryer no problem - though I prefer prefolds (specifically GMD prefolds) to gCloth - it just worked better for me. I would avoid drying wetbags as well. Just hang stuff up on a folding drying rack (that's what I used for storage and drying) or over the shower curtain rod as needed.
It's totally worth it. There's a learning curve but they're really quite simple once you get the hang of it - my husband tells all his friends who are expecting how they should use gDiapers and how easy they are. Check out cloth diaper swap/sell groups on facebook or go on craigslist to find good deals on gently used diapers - they usually (buyer beware) work just as well for a fraction of the price!
Helpful - 0
Thank you ladies for all this wonderful info!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Baby Products Community