Baby Products Community

what are the benefits if breastfeeding?

I'm 19, and about 7 weeks along. I've always wanted to breastfeed, but Ive heard bad things about it. I would like to see some pros/cons or personal experiences? Thanks so much in advance!
I am expecting my first as well. Everyone says the first 2 or so weeks are very painful for mama. But, breast milk helps with brain development and building a strong immune system. My doctor it is one of the absolute most important things you can do for your baby. Plus, it helps with bonding! I am praying I have no problems bf!
It helps the weight go away faster, baby gets immunity from you to help fight illnesses, I believe it can even help fight breast cancer down the road. Breast milk is very natural so you don't have to worry if somehow the formula was contaminated. That being said, it does hurt like h*** when your milk is coming in, but once it does, it's easy, no warming up the formula, plus formula gets expensive.  If you plan to breast feed, have a good supportive friend or family member. My mil was so negative that I gave up after ten weeks w baby number 1. Baby #2 is due in July and I have a pump ready and lots of support from friends. I'm really excited to try again with this baby.
My daughter did just fine on formula, but I wish I could have breast fed longer with her. It really is an awesome bonding experience that I think everyone should at least try.
I B/F my first and found it easy, my midwife and child health nurse were fantastic in helping with any difficulties or questions I had. I fed till my son was 13 months old and only really stopped then because he pretty much self weaned. There are many positives to breast feeding but not everyone can do it. Don't put to much pressure on yourself if you can't. As long as baby is fed and healthy is all that matters.
My main reasons for loving breast feeding was the closeness it gives you to bub, also that I didn't have to wash/sterilise bottles, make them, warm them or even have to buy formula. Good luck to you is which ever you decide to do. Don't let anybody be negative towards your choice. It's your baby and your body, do what's right for you.
I feel as though if I had breastfed (directly-instead of pumping) I would have bonded with my daughter more and maybe my post partum wouldn't have been so severe. I was 19 when I had her in 2010. I plan on breastfeeding this one due in Jan '14.
Your able to pass on immunities to the baby and its helps with weight loss..  im going to breastfeed but ive bought a pump to so my boyfriend is able to have some bonding time during feeds... Its better for you and the baby and financially its saves you money...
Going on my fourth baby adventure. My first was a preemie so there was some struggle there. His little sucker wasn't very strong. Yes, within the firstfew days you will get engorged and that is overpowering at times and the hormones lactating produces makes your uterus contract (shrink) back to normal faster so there is some cramping. After this short period it is very pleasant and economical to breastfeed. Remember, your sharing yourself with the most important being in the whole wide world.
Breastfeeding is NOT painful, not even in the,beginning. Unless the baby isn't latching on correctly. It takes some practice in the beginning for both, but don't  give up. It is THE best thing for the baby. Other benefits in addition to all the immunities and nutrients, there's cancer fighting agents as well. There is an article i recently read about a study recently done.
Also check the breast feeding forum on here
It Is Different For Everyone. Some Find It Painful Some Don't. I Have Had It Really Easy With My Daughter. She I 9.5 Months Old And Only The Figuring It The Latch In The Beginning Was The Hardest. The Pros Are Its Great Bonding, It Is Healthier For The Baby, Less Of A Chance They Get sick. My Daughter Has Yet Too Get A Cold. As For Weight Loss Some Women Loose The Weight Faster. I Can't Loose The Last 20Lbs. Its Much Cheaper Than Buying Formula. You Don't Have To hardly Get Out Of Bed To Feed Your Baby Just Whip Out A Boob And They Do The Rest. Its A Little More Difficult If You Exclusively Breastfeed Rather Than Using Bottles As Well From Pumping Since no One Else Can Feed Baby But You Find What works For You.Also If Baby spits Up breast Milk Doesn't Stink or stain Like Formula Does. And Diapers Are Not Add Smelly.. Hope That Helps Out. I Love Breastfeeding. So Glad I Was Able To Do It And Still Am.
I didn't find it painful most of the time, but it was difficult at first. I had inverted nipples and had to use a shield for the first few weeks. I breastfed my first for 13 months. The benefits are endless. The costs are few (pain and frustration). If you have the support to work through the learning curve, it will be the greatest experience!
Oh ya the only time its super painful is when they bite you :) But my little girl learned real fast thats not ok!!!
I am going on my third baby and I will be brest feeding again i didnt with my first but my second i did. Now the first time is hard cuz it does hurt it takes time for your nipples to get used to it but its worth it. Its really easy and I didn't have to worry bout formula or anything. Now ull want to buy a cover that helps keep things hidden and secure cuz once the baby learns to grab he/she will most likely try to expose you by pulling on the blanket while he/she is eating lol had to learn that the hard way. Also breast pump will be a friend and breast milk last a long time if refrigerated. Not to mention the health benifits are the best. One last thing a little bit of a warning when u decide to stop it really hurts when your breasts dry up not very nice experience but keep a good bra on and ull need breast pads to help with leaking.good luck!