Bulging Disc L5 / S1 - referred Leg Pain. Sciatic nerve pressure.
I have extreme referred leg Pain - caused by assumed sciatic nerve pressure from bulge from diagnosed minor Bulging L5 / S1 disc. Signs of canal stynosis - as I have pins and needles in my left foot and calf muscle consistantly. I get severe Glutenal cramping from walking so awkwardly to lessen the impact as sitting and walking seems to aggravate sciatic nerve due to added pressure on the disc. Lying down relieves leg pain. Acupuncture and physio can not relieve my pain more than temporaraly. Physio has given me exercises and also tape strapping to keep me standing straight, not crouching. I have had a few spine stretching treatments with a machine - pulling lower back down whilst strapped to a table. Dry needling, Hydro therapy, Massage and looking at remedial massage currently. You name it - I feel like I've done it. I've got no known allergies to any other medications or supplements ever prescribed or suggested.
I took magnesium yesterday as suggested for muscle cramping. This only caused me a massive headache, dizzyness, extreme stomach cramps that then turned to nausea and vomiting. I guess magnesium just didn't agree with me.
Due to having a bulging disc, all the doctors I go to seem to laugh when I say i'll do anything to take the pain away. They tell me to learn to live with it and write me another script for one of many pain killers Endep 25, Indocid 100mg, Tramadol 100mg, valpam 5mg... nothing is effective any more and I can't help but feel so depressed that after 4 months of dealing with this excrusiating pain at 20 years old - the rest of my life is going to be unbearable.
I keep getting told by practically everybody that surgery is not the answer. The hospital has put me on a waiting list for a consultation with an orthapedic surgeon and after all the attempts in the worlds to get an earlier appointment I've only got to wait another month - but after that there will be many more waiting lists to look forward to, who knows... what surgery is considered in these cases.
Can you suggest anything that will take my pain away? I don't want to be addicted to pain killers and I'm scared it's getting worse not better, or even bearable.
I am glad to see I am not the only one going through this. I started with right leg pain almost 15 years ago, It came and went, wasn't really a constant issue, but has been progressively getting worse over the years.

About about six years ago the pain began spreading from my back side, down my right leg, and into my foot. Again, it wasn't constant, maybe a couple days a week or so I would have to lay down to let the pain ease up. Usually this happened after running errands all day. My doctor told me they couldn't find anything to explain the pain.

It got to the point that I was living on Ibuprofen and Vicodin. Gradually the pain just got worse and worse. I can't sit, stand. or walk for a very long time or the pain becomes so intense that it takes days before I can find any relief. I had been to a podiatrist, chiropractors and numerous neurologists. The neurologists always did the same thing, touched my legs to see if I could feel it or felt decreased sensation, made me walk, bend over and touch my toes, etc. They did EMGs in my calf and thigh on my right leg.  As usual, no one could find anything to explain the pain. Then I started falling, my left leg seemed to disappear. I had constant pins and needles, burning sensation, etc. The pain is so bad at times I can't walk. I have also been dealing with decreased sensation below the waist. Bladder and bowel problems. etc. The pain has now spread to both legs.

I have been on every medication you can imagine. Two years ago they put me on Lyrica. I had every side effect imaginable and I acquired Addison's disease. Although, I was finally able to find a neurologist that actually took the time to listen to me and my symptoms. He did an EMG on my back and found that I have severe nerve damage at L5-S1. According to my neurologist, the damage has been there for a long time and is just progressively getting worse. He recommended that I see a pain specialist because there was nothing else he could do for me.

I've been with my pain specialist for almost two years now. I was getting epidural shots every month and have been taking 15 mg oxycodone, 20 mg oxycotin extended release tabs, 10 mg flexeril, 10 mg Ambien, and Limbrel 500. After two years of increasing pain and medications, I asked for a referal to a surgeon. The hard part of that is, they never do CT scans or MRIs below L5! So each time I've had tests done, they tell me there is possible protruding disk, degenerative disc disease, and degenerative arthritis of the spine. They tell me there is nothing they can do for me so I have to live with it.

I am 47 years old and over the past year I have lived like a hermit. I have to have a cane with me at all times just in case my legs decide to stop working so I don't fall. I have a braces for my sacrum and my ankles. I have literally stopped living because of the pain. The only one who actually listens to me is my pain specialist and he is doing everything he can to get a surgeon to listen to me and run tests for the appropriate area of the body where the damage is. It is really sad when the surgeons, and most neurologists, have a God complex and think they are the only ones that know whether or not there is really something wrong. NOT EVERYTHING SHOWS UP ON MRIs or CT scans.

I've had surgery for Chiari Malformation. Prior to my surgery I dealt with the same problems that I am now with various doctors. Even the surgeon tried to tell me I didn't have Chiari, but the final test came back verifying I had Chiari, so the surgeon almost stuck his foot in his mouth! After my brain surgery, the surgeon told me they found problems that DID NOT SHOW UP  on my MRIs and CT scans. What a surprise.

I am going through the same thing with last surgeon I saw for my back. First of all, he didn't request MRIs or CT scan for the sacroiliac region as requested by my pain specialist and orthopedic doctor. He didn't feel it was necessary and everyone else didn't know what they were talking about. I am going for a second opinion in a couple weeks. I am hoping that I get a more positive result from this surgeon.

I am sorry for rambling on, but my heart goes out to you. You are your own best advocate! You may have to see a multitude of doctors before you find that is actually willing to really listen to you and want to help you. Someone that is capable of working outside the box. Not everything is in a book and if it is a rare condition, that makes it even harder to find a competent doctor. Do your own research and don't be afraid to ask questions, show the doctors what you have found, etc. Remember, the doctors are only "practicing medicine". The human body is a never ending mystery and not everybody has the same thing. The doctors need to learn to listen and be willing to admit they don't know something. They need to work with their patients, not make them feel like they're idiots.

Don't give up! No one will fight as hard for you - as you fight for yourself.  As frustrating as it may be, keeping looking for a doctor that will listen to you and want to go the extra mile to help you. That's what real doctors do!

I wish luck, don't give up, and do your own research on your symptoms and the doctors.
in much the same as you l4 l5 s1 and osteo arthritus of spine had ops did not work now all they can do is feed me with pain relief morphine amitripline depression tabs gabapentin  diazapan and many more .There are days you will feel like giving up but like you stay strong take a deep breath and look at what an amazing world we live in.WE might of been dealt a crap hand but make the most of it,your only here once,there are many people worse off than us.
It appers that no one has looked at alternative therapy here. I was also suffering from the lower back pain - L2-L3, L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1 and the doc advised same surgery (as advised to all the sufferes here) however, i searched for alternaives and got the formula -  mix 100 gms each of turmeric (powder), dry ginger, fenugreek (powder) with 50 gms of withania somnifera. Take 1/2 spoon with luke warm after daily after breakfast and after dinner. This will cure the disc pain. Reduce the quantity/frequency as you go along. All the best.
I had 2 disc L5 &L4 driving me insane for about 2 years.  So I finally had the operation discectomy, it took about 6 months to get my strength back but the pain relief was almost instant, that was 2005,
I then had a car accident in 2010 and have been going crazy with back pain, I have just found I have a disc injury again so I will be asking for the operation again, it works go for it.  Good luck
I've had siatica, leg pains, muscle cramping, etc. off and on for the last year, sometimes lasting months. I couldn't drive for more than 10 minutes because I couldn't sit down. I went to the doctor last week, got an MRI last Wednesday. This past Tuesday I got the MRI results, (herniated disc L5 S1 and was given the options of slow non-surgical healing (weeks, months or more) or surgery. I opted for micro discectomy surgery, they set it up for  Friday (yesterday). The pain is gone. It was done as an outpatient procedure. I was in at 6:30 AM  surgery was at 7:30 and I was sitting at Chick-fil-A for lunch at 2:00 PM (groggy yes, horrible pain, NO. I do feel a bit beat up today (Saturday) the body still has to recover, they said I will be back to normal in 5 to 7 days. That's nothing compared to the last year of pain.
My Advice. Don't suffer, get the MRI, find out your options, pick the best one and go for it. Putting up with pain is a waste of life.
My plan is to lose weight, beef up my abs and treat my back with respect.

For you Christians out there. I prayed for guidance though the entire process and thanked the Lord for his guidance and grace. It's always best to talk to the one that made you. He won''t steer you wrong.

Best wishes to all who are suffering. Take action, it's worth it.
I have had severe back and leg pain for years, started with back pain then left leg shooting, stinging pain and now has started in the right leg with days of hamstring and hip cramping along with the pins and needles feeling. Mri done last year showed disc herniation at L4-5 and S1 pressing on nerve. I have found no relief and now I wonder if it's gotten worse since it has started to effect my right side.
I am on muscle relaxers, hydrocodone 10/500, gabapentin, aleve, xanax, plus about 15 other med's for other reasons.
I can not take it anymore, I had the injection and it did not help at all.
Now I have no insurance and I don't know how much longer I can take it.
Hello I have the same diagnose, I also have a small annular tear. Yes it is painfull. I have been on gabipenton for a year and have been seeing a chiropractor Dec, be a year. Iam now off all meds. I do daily exercise morning and night. Lifting things, bending over, walking to far, sitting to long affects it. So I alternate.
Wishing you the best on your condition.
hello I have a small annular tear and bulge L5-S1 and it is painful, the doctors had me in more stress then I ever have been in my life. Ive lost alot of weight been on diffrent  pain meds. Not one of family practice doctor gave me a diagnose until after my MRI. I use to take Gabipentin 600 morning and night,I felt like a dry drunk and I dont drink. I was on it for a year was not helping, so wanted off meds, took me a month to ween off and the symtoms was horrible.  Yet to this day I see a chiropractor be a year soon, it stopped the stabbing right leg pain I use to get, but still suffer in pain day in day out.  So I stay close to my home standing, sitting, walking affects it, so I alternate.
Good luck on your condition.
It is really painful.It affects all our movement and body parts.

palm beach painting
Hi , thanks for your words of encouragement I seem to be suffering from the same problem. Can you tell me what type of exercises you do specially you mention weights?

Swimming ,Alcohol and give up pain killers.  I started lying down on the floor or using a pilates ball in the house as my settee was too soft. I couldnt walk for two months and now found out it is ls 51. but since i gave up naproxin, ibuprofen, amitytriptaleen and tramadol i feel better, Swim three times a week and dont stretch. Bottle of red a night and lay on the floor on a rug works wonders. i dont recomend it as not a doctor but it works and smoking weed is even better but drugs are bad and so is pain!!
I have been sitting here on the internet crying after reading horror stories and I am so sorry to all of you. You are NOT alone!!!

Background- I am 23 years old, and a runner and former athlete. I have been exercising at a gym for 3 years now as well as going to bikram yoga. For the past year, I had right ankle pain. So bad that I was limping when I walked and off balance when I ran. I got X rays, an MRI, physical therapy, and the pain was gone. They said I had a weak ankle. I even got custom made inserts(for having a high arch) as suggested by my doctor. Then I started working out again.

but- I still feel pain. Though not pain in my ankle- extreme pain in my lower back. I think the pain was there all along but it was masked by my ankle pain. It hurts to drive, walk, sit, exercise. I have pain in both my knees and right leg when walking. I feel like a cripple. I can only walk short distances. I can't wear normal shoes. When I lay in bed at night my lower back burns until I fall asleep. I have sharp pains every time my foot hits the pavement when I walk. I have intense shooting pain in my thigh. When I exercised my body was off balance and my knees and legs were hurting so bad. I could only run for 15 mins before the pain was so bad I gave up. I frequently have to shift positions while sitting or standing to relive the pain. I even have to lay a certain way in bed.

Unfortunately for me, my personality is to ignore things. So for a while I thought I was just having normal back pain. Until it has now gotten so bad that I know it is not "normal" back pain. Especially after reading these stories and speaking with my doctor.  I was running and exercising for 4+ months while having this pain but I finally told myself to stop.

I went to see a doctor who did X-rays and prescribed an MRI. He mentioned I may have lumbar disc disease or a herniated disc which is what I am also guessing it is after reading these stories as well as other websites. I have my MRI soon and I'm praying that I can get this fixed with physical therapy and that if it does result in surgery, I hope that it will permanently fix it. I just really hope I haven't permanently damaged myself. I am such an idiot for waiting so long to fix this problem. I really hope I can one day walk normally again and feel no pain because I honestly don't remember what it feels like to not have this pain. I have been crying since I went to the doctor because I'm so afraid of the outcome.

PLEASE, if you are reading this and having pain, GO TO A DOCTOR. Please recognize your pain and get help. I hope everyone finds some relief and gets better ASAP. You are not alone!!!

Omgoodness I can't believe so many of us are going through this exact torture. This back n leg/ foot pain has taken it's ruins over my life there is not a minute in the day I don't have relief or not consumed with this monster. It all started for my in fall 2009 u see I had no accidents to have caused this annoying pain so I had no idea what was going on. Saw my pc n he sent me for n X-ray yes X-ray of my back n nothing showed so he basically pushed me aside n literally told me it was in my head n I was seeking attention or meds I was pissed. So went home n struggled through the nxt few months, doing everyday tacks was almost impossible.I was so frustrated n I knew something was seriously wrong I then sought out a nuero for my horrible migraines n I then told him of my issues he believed me what a relief he sent me for an MRI gave me pain meds n sleep meds then sent me home w this teeter machine which stretches out your back n did help for the time I used it until I was finished n the pain would haunt me once Again. I went back for my results n there it was a herniated disc in my L4 L5 S1 boy I was a ball of emotions that day that I finally had an answer n it wasn't "all in my head", lol. So for some odd resean he referred he to a orthoped for surgery during my wait to see him they had me see another specialist to recieve cortisone injections to see if that would ileaviate any pain n nope it did not touch the source so went and did another round still nothing. During that time dr put he on gabapentin did nothing but I still took them for some glimmer of hope that they would. Finally saw the ortho n he told he surgery  a microdiscectomy n I agreed he was curtain it would help w the leg pain more so than the back pain so I agreed 1st surgery was in April 2010 did not help I was in so much more pain after this surgery I was devastated to have put myself n my poor family through this caus so they loaded me up with percocets I was going crazy everyone was is suffering around me. 2nd microdiscectomy was performed 4/5 months later n he told me I reherniated again n this rarely happens but it does he also found some disc fragments that were left behind which were all crushing my sciatic nerve he swore again this time was it he was 95% sure I would recover so after healing for a few more month with more meds n still a lot more pain I complained again n again I was sent for another MRI n emg. My result for the emg came back normal but abnormal nexus I just had surgery n they should have read abnormal so my nerves r miss firing I was going even crazier by the day at this point. So I started researching more than I already was n I started calling every nuero I could to get in to see someone for a second opinion  n by this time I was on so many meds I couldn't function without them percocects, xanax, oxycontin,hyrocodone,gabapentin,ambien, zanafex, cymbalta n of course NSAID's,  I litterally was sitting on ice all day still I was miserable n not too mention a walking pharmacy. I was am so depressed I didn't see the reason to live why does someone how does someone stay strong enough when yrs r now going by nothing but PAIN. I broke down everyday asking y me? Finally I saw another neuro n he said surgery again but a more exploratory Aubrey this time which meant a larger incision which at this point I didn't care just do it so 2wks later I went in n under went a 3rd back surgery. He did an exploratory microdiscectomy found many things wrong I once again reherniated this time the bulge was much larger than my MRI showed n I also had major scar tissue which was intwinning around my nerve impinging it and the dr before again left tons of bone fragments which almost severed my nerve. This was in june 2012 I am now now 3.5 months post surgery n my back feels some what better I don't have the tightness like before but it's a catch 22 here, my leg n foot r still in agony I can't win here. But good news in I am off all meds but percs n ambien. I still struggle to sleep through the night. I hope that my body hasn't reproduced more scar tissue n whats nxt for me. I can't work I do take care of my beautiful babies 3boys 10 y/o n 4 y/o twins. I feel so self consumed though everyday with my pain that I just want to be normal again n idk if that's ever gonna happen for me.I want my life back I want meeee back. I appreciated everybody out there for sharing there stories n experiences I wish everyone a pain free life. God bless!!            

Samantha
i was diagnosed with disc herniation on L5 S1. been suffering since the birth of my lovely 6 mos. old daughter. Can't walk far, can;t stand up for long period of time. Feels like i have a tube stuck under my buttocks. I used to love to cook but now, we eat a lot of take outs and frozen foods.Oxycodone, hydromorphone didnt work at all. Too depressing! :( Looking forward for the Spinal Epidural injection soon!! I pray for all of us to  be pain free!
Hello...I have read your post and am wondering how you are doing today, given that you posted 2 years ago. I have a herniated disc L5/s1 that started in 2006. After 2 injections I was pain free from 2007-2012. Now I am wondering if surgery is my only answer. I've had 4 injections this year and I have numbness in my leg and foot. I'm interested to know if your surgery is still a success. I really don't know what to do and the surgery frightens me.
Hi my doctor prescribed me lyrica it's an epilepsy medication it stops the signs of pain going to the nerve i also swim go to a chiropractor physio and these drugs are helping me to do the treatment with no pain and no drowsy effects these drugs are expensive though
I can beat you all!
5yrs  ago i tore the tendon in my right knee, left it for a year and hurt it 2 more times after that. Finaly went to dr 2yrs ago and had to get full ACL surgery ( where they remove a tendon from the hamstring and attach it across your knee) and ripped over 50% percent of my cartilage that they removed. After surgery they told me i would be off for 8 months. But stubborn me, i was back in 2 months. Everything was good for about 6months untill i had to move. I being the tough guy, did it all myself with a friend. And a week later had bad pain in my leg. I thought i just stressed out my "new knee" and tried to deal with it. Finally after 2 months i went to drs and told i had L5 S1 disc bulge. Ive tried all the dr pills, doesnt work, physio, doesnt work, acupunture and stretches, doesnt work. My dr says back injections and chiropractors are a joke and just wants to give me pills, which i wont take, need some help its been over a year with this pain..... Email ***@**** is you have want to give some serious tips
I tried the lumbar epidural shots thwe ffirst shot help the second didnt i went to the local hospital said they couldnt touch me bwecause of the pain management doctor. So ok when i couldnt stand the pain i went to pain management hospital where he was on staff they said i needed a hip replacement and the doctor why i didnt call him duh he said wherever i went hospital they would call him.I went home and later a couple a days i was begging for someone to take to the houston hospital er memorial herman univeersity of texas. They aare teaching hospital found that L5 S1 disc were herniaated on a major nerve and drop foot. They have done surgery and i got out on DEC19. I know i feel better. Foot drop may take a year to get better if it ever does but i am schedule for physical therapy.i am so thinkfulfor going to the teaching hospital because they get to gether to discuss my case and evveryone missed the drop foot until one of the doctorsw wanted me to raise my big toe and i couldnt and the dignosis was made.
To everyone on here and those that aren't who is living with the pain associated with back issues......

Like many on here I had "extreme", "beyond severe" leg pain in my outer knee that eventually progressed to my ankle and feet to my sciatic nerve in my buttock.... What seemed puzzling to my doctor and then to the rheumatologist(I am in remission of my RA for almost 7yrs) he referred me to, was that it was only in my left leg....
my doctor thought it was possibly
* fibromyalgia-due to my history of PTSD and ADD(diagnoised by a world reknowned psychiatrist.
* extreme depression-which I wasn't, just deeply concerned that the pain I was experiencing was quickly getting worse. He even went as far as to give me 30days of Prilosec samples. I didn't take them, I wasn't depressed....I knew it was physical.
* That I was over exaggerating my pain to only gain access to pain-killers( please let me footnote that I was very forth coming about my RA history, but I hadn't taken anything stronger than an extra-strength tylenol since 2007. I also have never had an issue with alcohol or drugs. I am the child of an alcoholic and addict, and am very aware of genetic predisposition.

I went to the Rheumatologist he referred me to and blood tests and physical examination were done.(i literally crawled to my car after having gotten an x-ray on my back(useless when the pain is due to a torn bulging disk)) she thought it might be muscle skeletal but wanted an MRI to be done....Two days later after calling her after hours and having passed out because the pain was so bad, she sent me to go through the ER to try and get a MRI which the ER doctor refused to do, but they were more than happy to dose me up with pain medication, wouldn't you guess...

After being taken by ambulance twice to another hospital ER... a wonderful doctor and humanitarian took pity on me and admitted me to the hospital. I was blessed and fortunate to have one of the best neurologists in the country at the foot of my bed the next morning..... Hallelujah! Finally someone that knew what he was doing.....He did a simple test on the bottom of my feet( he scratached his fingernail along the bottom  of my foot and had me decribed the feeling or sensation I felt) then he ordered a MRI which took two attempts because by that point I was in so much pain for so long that I couldn't lay flat. Sure enough I had a torn bulging disk right where the spine and pelvis connect....... The next morning he performed lapiscopically a proceedure that reformed my disk and thus taking the pressure off my nerves..........I walked out of the hospital within hours, with almost NO pain.....

Today due to Overland Park Regional Hospital  in Overland Park, Ks. and first a doctor in their ER whom took mercy on me, and the neurologist(Dr. Robert Beatty) I haven't taken a painkiller of any kind(so there goes the first doctors theroy of my being an addict), no anti-inflammatories, no muscle relaxers.......

I've gotten my life back....!!! I'm very blessed, miracles do happen.......

The secret for me was:
* I know my body and I know my mind. I knew it was physical and I wasn't going to let any doctor tell me otherwise.....(though I did do alot of research online and in the library, and I talk to several doctors that I trust)
* When I found out that it was a torn bulging disk located where it was...I wasn't going to do chiropractors( i respect what they do), pain management(because of having had experienced severe pain with RA, I didn't want to live my life that way again under ANY circumstances), or go to a orthopedic surgeon( once again, I respect what they do but the pain was so strongly associated with my nerves, to even touch my skin caused pain)
* I knew that surgery was my best option at that point. I thoroughly checked out Dr. Robert Beatty...Online and even personal referrals from individuals and doctors(when asking a doctor about another doctor, make sure to ask them that under the same circumstances whom would they have do their surgery?)

Since having had the surgery that I'm blessed and fortunate that was hugely successful. I've learned that while while other treatments are often suggested or other people influence you try..... They don't work, and the longer you prolong the issue, the more damage you incur......

Do your research..... trust your instincts....don't let others influence you to do treatments that most often if not always prolong your agony.....
You know your body, no one else does, not even a doctor.
You also know how much pain your in....DO NOT let anyone doctor or otherwise tell you how much pain you should be experiencing, at ANY point.... Everyone's pain threshold for pain is different.Do NOT let anyone bully or shame you that your pain is not real.......

I hope any of what I've written helps anyone on here or elsewhere.......  
ankylosing spondlitus (AS) look it up
Do you have Martina's contact info?
Please tell me more about the black cherry extract.  What brand and how much did you take?  I would love to get off my prescriptions.
Thanks.
I am in the USN, and have been dealing with back issues since late 2008.

I had no idea what was going on, but i had all the symptoms people describe. terrible pain traveling from my butt down my thigh. I couldnt stand for more than 20 seconds, and since i was on cruise we worked all day... it was labor and it was excruciating.

the doctor i was seeing got so pissed off everytime i showed back up in his office. He one time yelled at me saying " YOU HAVE MUSCULAR BACK PAIN, IT IS MOSTLY IN YOUR HEAD!!" i was so lost.. He threw Motrin at me like it was candy. I felt disgusting, i hurt terribly.

I finally left japan and went on leave to TX for a month. When i got there i could barely walk anymore. So insted of spending time with my family, i drove myself to the ER and got checked into a hospital. what do you know, the MRI shows L5/S1 potrusions pressing directly on my Sciatic nerve. I do not like dealing with pain for over 7 months. I asked for narcotics and they looked at me like i was the biggest addict they had ever seen. I started crying... i just couldnt believe the situation. I broke down talking to this doctors receptionist... she went to talk to the doctor and got me a script for percocet. That was the ONLY pain relief i ever got until i did the cortizone injection in my back. after that the pain was gone.

here we are 4 years later, and i can barely walk. im also BACK IN JAPAN! so everything i try to do takes at least a month. I hobbled into the doctors office and flat out asked for Percocet, and i explained why. I dont like taking tramadol it has bad side affects and withdrawal symptoms that appear after a week. nasty. I take naproxen and i might as well not.. it doesnt seem to do ****. They asked me to do a trial of nerve pain killers (seizure meds) that also do not help at all, and have withdrawal. why the hell can they not just give me what works until i can get my injection again?

my main point is, as mentioned above, EVERYONE does know there own body. You know what your symptoms are, and if you cant walk anymore because of pain THAT IS A SERIOUS ISSUE. **** all the doctors that look at you like your an addict milking your issues. 4 MRIs tell my story but i still have to go back to square one with every single doctor i see. they can clearly read my files, but still they act like its the first time ive dealt with the pain. they give the same story about streching, NSAID's, and a number of other gross meds, but they avoid doing the things that actually benefit you. i said, I need this injection, or my pain will continue for months/maybe years. "you have to learn to deal with your pain, and associate it with your life" **** that.

do what you have to do,  be blunt with your care managers. people outside the military have the benefit of finding someone they can trust, im stuck with whats available. most of them seem to google my situation and spit out the webMD facts when i goto my appointments. I wish i could just let them deal with the pain for an hour or so. then see what they say. Associate that **** with your life...

My wife feels so bad for me when i have to sit down at the house every 20seconds beause the pain is so excruciating. i cant play with my kids like i want... they are so young, but they ask why im on the couch so much.. I get some relief from Johnny Walker, but that isnt the right thing to do is it? Ill carry on! keep posting your stories! lets all live in misery together!
You said that you changed your diet to all these choice foods/ subsitutes, but your blood test still showed bad cholesterol levels... I completely agree with many things you said... i think alot of the people that post in here are in fact out of shape, and probably have body fat that makes there conditions much worse. Diet has a huge impact on mood, and mood dictates our actions. If you eat a shitburger you will feel like **** and lead a **** life. What i dont agree with you on is the fact that you chose to goto this doctor, and then you call him a quack because he would suggest meds for cholesterol? if you are eating so healthy and your **** is still elevated you need to consider medications. A fox will stop eating if he gets hurt because he cant ******* chase anything down. You can walk into a pharmacy and pick up a script that could postpone your death. Think about what you are writing.
we feel your pain.   I have 2 bulging dics  for many years and 2 annular fissures in  for at least the last 11 months all in L4-5 L5-S1. During that time my life has been turned upside sown.  The doctors here just want to throw pain meds at me.  I wrote a paper for an english paper on the affects of chronic back pain on the brain.  it was enlightning.  I learned that it can lead to anxiety, life threatning depression, insomnia,personality changes and more.  This is in addittion to being in pain 24/7.  Keep trying and keep a diary of your pain and what you are taking and doing during the day.  Take it to every doctor you see along with a disc of your MRI.  I am assuming you are carreer navy so dont let them just push you off.  Keep going back with all of your documentation till you find a doctor that will help.  see if there is an osteopath stationed near you and if there is try to see them.  Good Luck.
I have seen in the forum that you cured sciatica due to bulged disc by performing exercise. I am suffering from it and every day i am in pain . Can you please let me know the exercise that it worked for you . ( lean waist opposite of disc bulge. I didn't get how to do it. could you explain me clearly. ) Also can you please give the contact info of physical therapist martina. That would be great help
Thank you in advance.
Hi I have a bulging disc causing constant leg pain and pins and needles in my foot and shooting pain thru my leg.. I've been suffering near 6 months now no pain killer seems to work or even take the edge off.. physio seems to do nothing and my pain is gettin worse..  I suffer headaches that I assume r related to the pain killers. Also as of a week ago I've noticed mild loss of feeling on my inner thighs n slight bladder control issues..
I've told my doctor n they just hand me another script n send me on my way..  living like this is becoming unbearable..  any suggestions on hoe to cope???
Desperate!!!
I suffered an injury about 8 weeks ago and for the last 6 weeks have been in excruciating pain. My whole life turned upside down. No work, no gym, no having fun. Went to urgent care a couple times and had lumbar x-rays but had a problem with my insurance and couldnt get an appointment with a primary doctor for over a month. I tried chiropractic, acupuncture, physical therapy, a couple rounds of steroids and a variety of pain killers/muscle relaxers.  The most frustrating thing is people just dont understand the pain and what it does physically and emotionally. Reading all of these stories was a huge help. I ended up in the emergency room about a week ago after not being able to get out of bed one morning. They gave me IV morphine and valium and I could still feel pain. The worst for me was the muscle pain caused from tightness. Since then, I have had a huge change in pain. I take valium at night and my muscle tightness/spasms have reduced drastically along with alot of my sciatic pain. I am still waiting for official MRI results but seems to be bulging L5-S1. Hopefully my recovery continues after the valium runs out because I am sick of masking the pain with percocet/norco, etc. Good luck to all
Hi. I'm sorry to hear what you've been going through. My situation sounds similar, timeframe and all. I haven't had much intervention though, just physical therapy and a muscle relaxant. I haven't had an MRI but am thinking about pushing the issue with my doctor. Did you get your results? Did they provide any help? I think my pain is nerve-related at this point, though no one has said that. Have you been told anything specific neurologically?
Hi. What dose of the meds are you taking now? Fentynal Patches are very good. And it lasts for up to 3 days. You must be opiod tolerant though. Let me know what mg your meds are.

Hi the member u r asking a question of has not posted since 2010.....if u want to see if that member checks in, send them a PM-(private message)

Or post as a new thread and an open question regarding a certain med, who is on it and how long, dose etc....

I had similar problem in September 2012 wherein The L5 S-1 disc height is mildly reduced thereby I found it very difficult to even stand/walk/run.  At one stage I could not even stand continuously for 10 secs.  My Doctor advised me to do exercise daily but no improvement.  I tried all sources to get rid of the problem but could not succeed.  Finally, I went to a Homeo Doctor who gave some medicine and within 15 days time, the problem was totally solved and became normal.  I suggest that there is very good medicine in Homeo and pl try out.

Amalraj
Chennai
How are you feeling today 2014 hope still doing good please tell for I am looking into surgery.Marcia
I have found if I put my legs up 90 degrees and I use a bean bag to do it  but it has to be 90 degrees and lay there a while it has help me a lot .I pray for you to get better. marcia
I lay my legs on a bean bag at 90 degree stay like this until pain is gone I sleep like this too I pray you feel better.
I have just had two surgerys to relieve the very same problems you have had, I'm three weeks into recovery but am starting to have that awful pain come back once again!!! After my first op I was fine then eight weeks later my sciatic pain pain came back soooo bad I couldn't walk, sit, stand do any thing and was taken to hospital via ambulance and spent a week in there continually getting worse, the pain I kid you not was really worse than child birth, I know this because I've had three children without pain relief. The pain meds I was on tramdol, Panadol, gabapantin, codeine, morphine, cedamine, amoung a few other ones but none of which did any thing, then added hot and cold packs and electro pads to help but still nothing!!! After seven days in hospital which felt like a life a life time I got to have surgery for the second time for the same thing.  I woke up feeling remarkably better, no pain but numbness and pins and neddles in the back of my buttox down my entire leg to the bottom of my foot ( left leg)  but three weeks later the pain is coming back, I am sacred the pain will be as bad as it was, and I can't really afford for this to happen, no scratch that I can't afford it period as I worked for my self for cash and have now been out of work for six months. This sux!!! Are you all better?
After being a very sporty person, I can't remember when I didn't have a bad back.  After going to Chiro to help it I found instead he possibly cause my disc L5 S1 to herniate or bulge and I have been in constant pain ever since.   Right now I am in bed trying to recover from back pain and referral lower abdominal pain and leg cramping I get when my back is bad.  No Meds seem to help when it is bad.

I have just become a yoga teacher in the last few years and have spent a lot of time studying backs and the only way I think we can help our back injuries is by relaxing the muscles around the affected area in order to take away the pressure on the nerves. This involves correct breathing into the abdomen and Daily relaxation incorporating that breathing in a comfortable supported position with legs on a chair or over a bolster or with the knees bent.   I find is most beneficial and better than any operation or medication.  TRY IT AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU ALL GO
After bitching to my Dr for over 2 years about my feet feeling like i am dipping my feet in boiling oil, walking on thorns and looking sunburn then turn purple he put me on pain meds and gave me more depression meds thought it was in my head...FINALLY i told him look i cant walk more then 20 mins w/o felling like my bones are grinding bone to bone and my legs are numb with shooting pain going down them, he had to do something I begged him to give me a MRI and i said if I am will to pay $400 out of pocket NOW would I be faking it? So i go it and HUMMMM i have bone spurs pushing on my nerves and a  Herniated disc..I am so mad because he just kept feeding me pills and allowed me to be in pain for tha 2 years :(///// Do  you think water beds make YOUR BACK FEEL BETTER? I got a memory foam w/the cooling pack on it and it hurts me so bad thank you Jeni
I hate to hear about all these people in pain and they haven't tried Decompression.  Along with good nutrition and some stretching a lot of people would be in a lot less pain.
I know what you're going through , because I have the same bulging and herniated discs L4 five and S1 . I also have a failed next surgery and have stenosis in my neck now. However the good news is I know of a wonderful solution that has helped me more than all the epidurals or shots or pain meds,
It's called Vax-D. do your research on this, I and thousands of other people suffering from herniated and bulging discs have been able to get their life back to a large degree., In my state there are only three doctors that have this machine. Some chiropractors have what they call spinal decompression but they are not, they are traction machines. There's a big difference.. Find someone with VAX D and you can get back to not having that kind of pain , if you don't abuse your back. I hope this helps you.
I have been through the gamut with back pain and my brother is a doctor and I know lots of doctors . Surgery is the last and worst option anyone could take for their injured back . And I known Nero surgeons who take their wives to get other forms of treatment because they know that surgery does not work. I do know that spinal decompression works pretty well for someone who doesn't have extensive damage in their nerves., The only true spinal decompression machines are called Vax-D. there are other a few doctors in each state that have these machines . I hope this helps you.
Vax-d is a mechanical traction device for the lumbar spine.

My personal experience with traction, whether at PT or chiropractic clinics is that they may cause some temporary relief, if any, but do not make lasting changes with moderate or severe spine disease including degenerative discs, facet disease and other osteoarthroses of the lumbar spine, scoliosis, or lumbar stenosis.

Like with all treatments, ask your back doctor if this is safe for your and give if a try -- it's non-invasive and causes no irreversible changes -- but don't expect Vax-d or any other treatment to be a panacea for all lower back disease.
My son, "the trophie body builder" now has similar problems. he is 36 and is being sent to buff. to a specialist. pinched siatic nerve and herniated disc. L1- S5. Pain meds help but do not relieve his severe pain. laser sergery is what we r hoping for. Has anyone mentioned laser sergery to u? It is relatively new but he just told me of a case in which it worked! this is good news in our favor. research it for yourself and good luck. being buff in the gym and he is a builder, roofer also. he feels better when working than not.. was just here laying on the floor after his gym life. he lives and breathes body building. poor kid of mine. so proud but yet ripps my heart right out at times. i would gladly give him my arms or legs if I could. so love my sons
Val and Jeremy (mom and son)
i am going through all that you described & i am at the end of my tether. I have been given Tramadol, Amitriptyline , Naproxen Dihydrocodeine , Neurontin Gabapentin, Liquid Morphine & another 2 that i cant remember & none of them work. Its the morning getting up & putting weight on my foot. OMG It is worse than child birth it makes me scream out in pain & i cry whilst holding on to the side. i slowly shift by tilting my foot to the inside & shuffle along on the inner side of my foot very slowly. I dont want to live with this pain. I CANT LIVE WITH THIS PAIN!!! im going on holiday in 11 days & i dont want to go because i will not b able to enjoy myself. I need HELP
Hi. Go for a MRI. Stay in bed and put some pillows under your knees. Use a band waist to see if is much better. But don't use it all the time because after your back muscle will not be so strong.
Use gels for you back pain and in all places where you feel pain. Use ice 10 minutes every hour. After a few things you will see what is working and what don't. The holiday trip is not a good idea because you will need to walk. I don't have a bad pain but still I can walk more then 10 min.
Hi. Could I ask many years later how things turned out for you as reading your post it is exactly the same as my situation, including the 3 kids bit...youngest of which is 10 months old. Feel like I'm in hell. I'd be so grateful to hear from you. Thankyou.
I'm in the same road. I'm 25 yo. I have L5 S1 4mm .. All the doctors didn't recommend any surgery. And I live in a complete hell. I visited tons of doctors, Only one doctor told me to do the surgery. I used Mesotherapy injections, PRP injections, And it was really expensive, I went to PT. Nothing helps. I'm a man but let me say it. I cry all the time, Everytime I see the fact that I'm like an old men, Actually I saw many old men are better than me. I'm so depressed, I so much want to die and thinking of suicide everyday. I can not live like that for the rest of my life and I don't want and I have no spirit to be fine with that test and challenge That I have. I see my life is just dark, I can not find a job out of pain, can not walk for more than 10 or 15 min, can not sit for the same amount of time. I can not do any single kind of sports anymore for the rest of my life. just coz one God damn day in the stupid gym and did this squat with weight. I'm so stupid person and I shouldn't even think to go to gym. nothing is gonna help, even doctors said that surgery will not benefit me. Some doctors said it's pelvic and SI joint and all of this crap and no one help. I just wanna die or something.
at least i found here people like me. I'm so sorry for my depressing sentences, but those who live in pain will feel me.
I wish you the best all.  
Chiropractic naturopathic treatment. I slipped mine out. Couldn't wAlk. Called chiropractor to house, he adjusted it back in place . Better instantly. I now do exercises and regular adjustments to keep it in line.
Hi my situation is exactly the same as yours..did your pain finally got relieved and how?
Can i end up in a wheelchair
I have this same L5/S1 bulge... Only mine is severe. I have no fluid in the disc and the bulge is so severe that my sciatic nerve is in a constant pinch. It is pulled so tightly that i also have Radiculopathy, my nerve is pulled to tightly at the joints all the way down. Left hip (inner and outer), knee, ankle, and toes. I have burning, pinching, shooting, muscle cramps and weakness, and also numbness from my left genital region and lower left back all the way to my toes. The entire outer back side of my leg is in constant agony. I was unable to walk for several months, until i had steroid epidural injections, (one on the disc and another on the nerve root), once every two weeks for 6 weeks (3 total). That helped so very much! I can walk now, I get through the store without a motor cart most every time. I am also taking the following meds... Gabbapentin (nerve pain), Chlorzoxazon (muscle relaxer), Naprosen (alieve rx), and Norco 7.5 (pain management). These meds keep me going. Ultimately, I need surgery. There is no other option, besides continued deterioration and pain. I plan to see an orthopedic surgeon soon. The surgery that would benefit you is a discectomy, where they go in and remove the portion of the disc that is bulged out. That would relieve all of the sciatica leg and back pinch pain. That is the surgery I plan to have, althpugh I'm not sure what they would do about my disc having no fluid... I do not want a fusion of the L5/S1 vertebrae. I hope this helps. Good luck.