Aa
A
A
A
Close
Back & Neck Community
11.7k Members

Can someone young get hip bursitis?

I believe I have Trochanteric bursitis, but my mother told me that only the elderly get it. I'm 21 female. I've had this recurring pain in my hip since 2010.
1 Responses
7721494 tn?1431631564
Your mother is right thinking that bursitis is usually a degenerative condition of age -- it usually is. However, other factors can cause bursitis in a young person, including a serious bacterial infection, so you need to see your doctor.

Your doctor will make a physical exam and check your hip for the cardinal signs of bursitis: limited range of motion due to pain, heat and tenderness over the joint with inflammation and swelling at the joint. He / she will attempt to aspirate of fluid from the joint. This will give you some relief from pain if you do indeed have bursitis.

An x-ray may show the cause of a mechanically induced bursitis.

So, please see your doctor.

In the mean time, ice the joint and use NSAIDs for pain and to reduce inflammation as directed. Always take NSAIDs with food to protect the stomach linings. Typical NSAIDs are ibuprofen, naproxen, and aspirin. Tylenol/acetaminophen is not an NSAID.
Have an Answer?
Top Pain Answerers
st. louis, MO
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches