A
A
A
Close
Back & Neck Community
11.7k Members

Cervical Spinal Stenosis

Hello:
I am a 60yr female with a long history of degenerative osteoarthritis.  In 2003, I had a CMC arthroplasty on my rt thumb with excellent results.  I was told to have the same procedure on my left thumb, but elected not to do so. My pain has been manageable with splinting and NSAIDs.  I have been under the care of an orthopedic surgeon for my bilateral knees and he has suggested total knee replacements, which I am reluctant to have done.  I am still ambulatory with a cane and the pain is controlled with corticosteroid injections and NSAIDs.  I was recently started on Celebrex -- no major change in symptoms at this time.
Two months ago I developed neck pain with right shoulder blade pain (constant) and tingling and numbness to my rt arm.  A cervical spine X-ray showed degenerative changes with a bone spur at the C4-5 level. I had an MRI done and the results confirmed moderate degenerative changes:
C4-5 disc dessication and slight narrowing. 2mm central protrusion. Mild facet hypertrophy without obvious foraminal
        stenosis.
C5-6 irregularity and degenerative dessication of the disc. 1-2mm central bulge. Facet hypertrophy with relative stenosis of the central canal, as well as foraminal encroachment bilaterally.
C6-7 similar findings with a mild to moderate spinal stenosis and foraminal encroachment.
There is slight alteration of the cord at the C5-6 and C5-7 levels.
I was referred to a neurosurgeon who is recommending anterior cervical diskectomies with fusion and anterior plating to be done C4-C7.
Does this surgery seem appropriate based on clinical symptoms and MRI results?  I hesitate to have more extensive surgery than is needed.  The neurosurgeon has informed me of the associated risks pro and con re: surgery and I am seeking additional information in order to make a definite decision.
Any information will be gratefully appreciated.  Thank you.

0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Pain Answerers
st. louis, MO
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches