Back & Neck Community

Disc Buldge in SpinalCord.Can 2nd dose of Epidural have impact on health?

My dad recently had a Cervical and Lumbar Spondylosis. He had a posterior disc osteophyte complex bulge at c4-c5, c5-c6 and c6-c7  causing bilateral foraminal narrowing with compression of the existing nerve root on both sides. Also there was a ventral thecal sac indentation with severe anterior cord compression visualized at c4-c5, c5-c6 and c6-c7   level. Diffuse disc buldge with posterocentral protusion visualized at L4-L5 level causing bi lateral foraminal narrowing the existing nerve root in both sides. Diffuse disc buldge at L5-S1 level causing narrowing the existing nerve root in both sides.

Question : He was provided treatment and was also given an Epidural for pain? Its been 55 days now and his pain has not gone down. They are planning to give his a second epidural in few days. Is it safe to have repeated dosage of epidural for pain? Is there any other alternative to handle the pain.

Thanks in advance.
Your father has severe cervical spine disease. He also have other spine problems at multiple levels. He also has lumbar spine disease.

I imagine his doctors are trying to first treat the severe cervical spinal stenosis w/o surgery. Given his diagnosis, this is the least invasive modality of treatment available. The alternative is surgical.

ESI is often ineffective, but can help some people. It sure beats the alternative.

I'm sorry he's still in pain -- many people are.

I hope that he'll get some relief from this upcoming procedure.