Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Do Perineural cysts cause pain?

I was diagnosed with perineural cysts 2 years ago. They are at T5-T7. I had been having severe back pain for 3 months, and the x-ray was negative. So I had a MRI which showed the cysts. They are at the exact same place where my pain is.
My neurologist says he doesn't believe that they cause pain. I am finding out that most of the medical community also has the same belief. Well, I beg to differ. I have not been able to sleep on my back for 2 years. The area is so tender, I can't let the shower water hit it, it hurts that bad.
I was wondering if you know of any Doctor in the Los Angeles or San Diego area who is treating these cysts. I am tired of treating the symptoms, I want to get rid of the cause!

Thank You,
Zoe
2 Responses
454186 tn?1388974968
hi
I 'm sorry I don't know anyone good at it in L.A
But,I know that perineural cysts  can begin to compress important neighboring nerve fibers, resulting in a variety of symptoms, including pain, weakness,when conditions cause these perineural cysts to fill with cerebrospinal fluid and expand in size.

So,I would strongly recommend that you see a local neurosurgeon quickly for a second opinion.
Thank You for your information and your advice. I sure appreciate it.
  I have seen and consulted with 4 different neurosurgeon's in this area. Not one of them believe the cyst's are causing my pain. They believe these kinds of cysts do not cause pain at all. Thats why I am looking elsewhere. I found a Dr. Khoo's name at UCLA medical center while I was doing some research on the internet. Apparently, he is on sabbatical at this time. That's why I thought there might be some others.
  There are a couple of neurosurgeons that do treat them. One is in Kansas City, Missouri and the other one is on the east coast. So I will just keep searching. Eventually I will find one. Until then, I will just stay on the pain mangement pills prescribed by my Primary Care Dr.

Take Care,

Zobie
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Back & Neck Community

Top Pain Answerers
st. louis, MO
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches