Back & Neck Community

L shoulder blade and neck and chest pain

Sudden onset of left shoulder, back, neck pain upon waking now constant two days. Unable to get comfortable. Breathing hurts. Using my right arm hurts. Bracing helps. Heat / ice no improvement.

Two years ago I tripped and fell hard on my knees and front and had this kind of sharp pain from shoulder blade to chest upon certain movements. It faded to nothing until I woke with more pain in these areas. It feels like a stiff neck, shooting pain and ache through L breast, down L side, behind collar bone, up neck.  

Female age 61,  history of Type II diabetes in control, osteoarthritis in cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine, also feet, knees, hands. Dx of fibromyalgia 1993.
Double mastectomies and reconstruction 1997, massive infections with 2 gram neg bacteria, debrided 3x in OR  till front of abdominal wall open 5 cm deep, pubic bone to ribs, side to side.  Healed for 8 months, 3 months inpatient, 5 months home nursing till  wound was covered with self-donor split thickness skin grafts. No further complications except pain and limitations from loss of muscle and massive scars.
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your pain. Possibilities that may need to be considered include infections/ inflammations, bursitis, tendonitis, arthritis, capsulitis, ligament/ tendon tears, growths/ tumours, nerve impingement, avascular necrosis, fractures, dislocations, respiratory tract infections etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile you may try some tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS and see if these are helpful for pain relief.
Hope this helps.

Take care!