Back & Neck Community

MRI Results

I am a 67 year old male and just had an MRI and have been referred to a spine surgeon . I was getting tingling or numb feeling in my feet and pain in calves and thighs after walking for about 5-6 minutes.

Can someone help me understand MRI results and what course of action is most likely to resolve my problem. Does this mean I will need surgery.

Findings:

The lumbar spine demonstrates normal alignment without vertebral body height compromise or marrow endema. There are scatterred benign hemangiomata . There is lower lumbar facet joint arthropathy. The spinal cord terminates at the superior L1 level.

Partial imaging of a 7.6 cm left renal inferior pole cyst is noted.

Impression:

Lumbar spondylosis is present and appears to moderate at the L3-L4 level, severe at the L4-L5 level.

Multiple bilateral neural foraminal encroachment appears most moderate on the left at the L4-L5 level. Impingmet of the existing left L4 nerve root is a consideration.

Partial imaging of a left renal cyst is present.

Lumbar spondylosis causes back pain. Surgery is usually the wrong treatment for spondylosis and can aggravate pain.

Spondylosis is treated with an interventional procedure known commonly as RF or radio-frequency ablation. The medical name is pulsed radio frequency neurotomy.

This is an outpatient procedure to destroy the sensory nerves that innervate the arthritic and painful facet joint.

Ask your doctor to refer you to an interventional pain management specialist. These doctors are usually anesthesiologists with advance training in these interventional techniques.