Back & Neck Community

MRI with or without contrast?

Hi, I am considering an MRI for my low back pain and would like some advice as to whether or not contrast would help. My source of pain appears to be either an SI joint or a pinched nerve due to a 10% slip of my L5 over the S1.

Some more backstory: (sorry, pun not on purpose)

My original pain began on my right side about 9 months ago, it was VERY intense and soon developed referred pain to the left side as well. After a long recovery (several months) I finally worked my way up to hiking and biking again, then about 2 weeks ago I got a similar pain this time on the left side, centered right on that lower bony point of the ilium, the lowest point that connects the ilium and sacrum. Knowing what could be in store I stopped all activity immediately and that prevented the full blown incident like last time. At the peak I had lots of weird nerve pain and even some weakness in my left leg. Now two weeks later it seems most of my pain is from a irritated piriformis muscle, and most of the nerve related discomfort is gone.

45 yr old male, thin, get lots of exercise, don't stretch enough tho.

Please ask if I left out anything important.

c
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your backache. Possibilities that may need to be considered include postural issues, neuro-muscular causes such as muscle sprain, spinal causes, nerve impingement, injuries to muscles/ ligaments etc inflammations, referred pain from other regions such as kidneys, micronutrient deficiencies etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!