Back & Neck Community

Neuropathy issues

I had L5/S1 fusion in Nov 2014. I woke up with severe saddle numbness and was told it would take time to heal. It hasn't changed for the better. I have muscle loss and weakness in my calf, ankle , foot and toes on my right. I had an MRI and it showed a fluid build up on my left at the surgery site. The surgeon did X-ray to check Hardware placement, everything looks good. Why the decrease in muscle tone and strength and weakness in foot? Also noticed I don't walk heel toe or toe heel.. My big toe and the toe next to it don't touch the ground . Any info will be greatly appreciated
The pressure on your spine and nerve roots is causing the neuropathy and other symptoms. I'm surprised your doctor did not speak of the risks prior to surgery, and the outcomes you are now experiencing.

If this is inflammation, physical therapy will help.

Has the source of this "fluid" been diagnosed? What are your treatment options?