Back & Neck Community

One Year after surgery for Spinal Stenosis

I was told to never bend backwards.  I didn't think to ask if that was just until I healed or if I can never bend backwards.  It's been a little over a year since I had my surgery.  Do I still need to be careful in any way on how I exercise and move?  I still have problems with sciatica.  Will that get better or worse with bending?
Since we don't know what kind of decompression surgery procedures you underwent to treat your stenosis, we cannot offer any insight into why you were informed not to bend backwards (called "extension").

I would continue to follow that advice (No lumbar extension, careful with exercise), but in the mean time, contact your doctor and ask questions.

Also, you'll need to seek treatment for your sciatica. This could be part of the old spine problem or a new development.

Best wishes.