Back & Neck Community

Pain on right side of back and neck

I am 16 years old and a part of my school's dance team. After one practice I felt pain in my neck and even into my shoulder.  When I got home, I tried to ice it off.  It has been 6 days since that practice and has only gotten worse. It doesn't matter if my neck is turned a specific way or not, there is a constant sharp pain in my neck, back, and right shoulder. However, the pain does get worse when I do turn it a certain way. I have been heating it, I got a massage, and I've been sitting out of practice because the pain is just getting worse. Is it time to see my doctor? What do you think they will say to do?
Hope your pain gets better. Hopefully, these are just spasms that will pass with a few days time. A warm bath with Epsom salt in it can help loosen muscles (like 5 or more hand fulls). Also, yoga helps to alleviate chronic pain and muscle aches, even if you just get a DVD or find a class on TV or there are free lessons on YouTube. Of course, you can find classes in your area, too. There is a yoga app on iphone that has the free youtube classes, claiming to be the best yoga on youtube: http://www.appolicious.com/health/apps/93462-yoga-at-home-videos-for-beginners-pacific-spirit-media.
Other things that help to alleviate symptoms more quickly and are easier, are TigerBalm rub (minty kind of like Bengay) (from drugstore or healthfood store) and something you find at health food store called Arnica rub, and the Tiger Balm I only use at night because it smells but the Arnica cream I use during the day.

In my case. . .When I was 15 years old, I had sharp pain in my shoulders and I got an XRay that showed bursitus. My mom bought me a Yoga tape, and I told the doctor and he said that was good. It worked. Yoga helped immensely at the time, and I just did one to two yoga tapes, because I never went to a yoga class until 10 years later.
The yoga helped for several years, until later in my life when I developed chronic fatigue - muscle fatigue that lasts more than a few weeks, and that's when I found out that I had a food sensitivity to wheat and dairy, which resulted in me eventually eliminating dairy and gluten (wheat, flour, bread) and reducing white, refined sugar, and supplementing with things like almond milk, soy cheese, rice flour pasta and bread, etc. helped to alleviate my chronic pain, in addition to eating 'healthier'. When I go to the doctors to tell them I have chronic pain, they mostly just listen, tell me to exercise or something like that.
Some doctors even say that pain can be related to depression, which surprised me, since I did not feel depressed. So for chronic pains, some doctors say anti-depressants may help - - that's what I found. But if the pain is just localized in one area, I am not sure if that applies.

Hopefully, the pain will alleviate in a few days with bath, Tiger Balm or some stretching. Or, with any luck it will go away on its own. Feel better soon and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Jen