Aa
A
A
A
Close
Back & Neck Community
11.7k Members

Upper back

About 20 days ago, I woke up with a slight pain in the upper back, somewhere between the spine and the shoulder blade, on the left side.  I thought nothing of it thinking I had strained a muscle and it would go away.  On that evening, the pain was almost gone. The next morning, I felt a lot of pain once I got up. The pain was also in my left tricep and left forearm.  The pain was very bad for about 5 days. The pain was worst when I first got up and would subside gradually to almost nothing in the evening.
I went to see a doctor who told me to take some over the counter muscular relaxant.  He told me to go see a physiotherapist if the pain did not go away. The pain is not as bad now as it was two weeks ago, but it is still there, especially when I first get up.
The medication I took did nothing for me and I really dont know what to do next.

Would  a pinched nerve give pain in the upper back and also in the tricep and forearm?

Thank you
1 Responses
15631377 tn?1448394622
Hi....insideman
      Pain over mid back due to following reasons:
Overuse, muscle strain, or injury: to the muscles, ligaments, and discs that support your spine.
Poor posture
Pressure on the spinal nerves: spinal nerves from certain problems, such as a herniated disc.
Myofascial pain: (Myofascial pain) that affects the connective tissue of a muscle or group of muscles.
There are several things you can do at home to help reduce your pain. For example:
Rest: If your back hurts a lot, take a break. But try not to let too much time pass before you get moving again. Instead, return to your activities slowly.
Use over-the-counter pain medicines: such as acetaminophen (for example, Tylenol) and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (for example, Advil, Aleve, aspirin, and Motrin). These can reduce pain and swelling. Be safe with medicines. Read and follow all instructions on the label.
Use a heating pad or ice pack: Heat can reduce pain and stiffness. Ice can help reduce pain and swelling.
Exercise: Exercises that stretch and strengthen the muscles in your back, shoulders, and stomach can help improve your posture, decrease your chance of injury, and reduce pain.
Practice good posture: Be sure to stand or sit tall. Don't slump or slouch.
Learn ways to reduce stress: You might try deep breathing and relaxation exercises or meditation.
      If u have chronic pain-consult a physiotherapist
Have an Answer?
Top Pain Answerers
st. louis, MO
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches