Back & Neck Community

Upper back

About 20 days ago, I woke up with a slight pain in the upper back, somewhere between the spine and the shoulder blade, on the left side.  I thought nothing of it thinking I had strained a muscle and it would go away.  On that evening, the pain was almost gone. The next morning, I felt a lot of pain once I got up. The pain was also in my left tricep and left forearm.  The pain was very bad for about 5 days. The pain was worst when I first got up and would subside gradually to almost nothing in the evening.
I went to see a doctor who told me to take some over the counter muscular relaxant.  He told me to go see a physiotherapist if the pain did not go away. The pain is not as bad now as it was two weeks ago, but it is still there, especially when I first get up.
The medication I took did nothing for me and I really dont know what to do next.

Would  a pinched nerve give pain in the upper back and also in the tricep and forearm?

Thank you
Hi....insideman
      Pain over mid back due to following reasons:
Overuse, muscle strain, or injury: to the muscles, ligaments, and discs that support your spine.
Poor posture
Pressure on the spinal nerves: spinal nerves from certain problems, such as a herniated disc.
Myofascial pain: (Myofascial pain) that affects the connective tissue of a muscle or group of muscles.
There are several things you can do at home to help reduce your pain. For example:
Rest: If your back hurts a lot, take a break. But try not to let too much time pass before you get moving again. Instead, return to your activities slowly.
Use over-the-counter pain medicines: such as acetaminophen (for example, Tylenol) and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (for example, Advil, Aleve, aspirin, and Motrin). These can reduce pain and swelling. Be safe with medicines. Read and follow all instructions on the label.
Use a heating pad or ice pack: Heat can reduce pain and stiffness. Ice can help reduce pain and swelling.
Exercise: Exercises that stretch and strengthen the muscles in your back, shoulders, and stomach can help improve your posture, decrease your chance of injury, and reduce pain.
Practice good posture: Be sure to stand or sit tall. Don't slump or slouch.
Learn ways to reduce stress: You might try deep breathing and relaxation exercises or meditation.
      If u have chronic pain-consult a physiotherapist