Back & Neck Community

back strain/sprain pain and swelling

I strained my back about 9 months ago doing yoga exercise. I have a really difficult time breathing. I went to the doctor and had got done a x-ray of back and ultrasound of abdomen and both were clean. The doctor told me it would heal on its own. However, the situation has gotten worse since. Now, I feel the muscles I have strained are on the outer edges of my back, so that I cannot move my ribs freely when I breath. When I touch the muscle, I feel a lot of muscle hardness and a bit of swelling. How can I go about treating this? Should I use heat and cold? Any other self-help remedies? All answers are appreciated. Thanks in advance !!!
Have you told him it is worse?  If you have and he didn't do a MRI or something, I would seek a second opinion.  Hope you feel better