Back & Neck Community

compression fractures

My wife is 47 and was diagnosed with breast cancer in February 2009. She underwent a lumpectomy and removal of the lymph nodes. The surgery was successful in removing all traces. My wife then underwent what our oncologist told us was preventative chemo for 5 months. Half way through this chemo my wife suffered severe back pain. The oncologist immediately sent my wife for a bone scan which revealed 3 compression fractures in her spine. She was then sent for a CT scan, MRI and bone density tests. All X-rays came back clear of any forms of cancer. Her bone density is above average for a woman of her age. These test have been repeated twice which recently revealed a further 2 fractures. A recent bone biopsy was done that was also clear for any form of tumor.

My wife has suffered no trauma while having the chemo. As you would expect she has been very quiet and rarely left the house. The only thing my wife has done in the last five months was to put chemo in her body.

The oncologist, orthopedic and endocrinologist can not find what the problem is or what may have caused the problem. I blame the chemo! She has been told to go home rest and take pain management.

Has anyone ever seen this problem before or perhaps throw any other suggestions our way. How long could it take for her spine to repair?

Thanks, Peter