Back & Neck Community

crackling noise in my neck/head area

Hello:  I am wondering if this is a very serious condition.  I have a rice crispy sound popping grinding like noise.  This is experienced when I turn my head from shoulder to shoulder or back and forth.  I get vertigo as well.  No headaches or pain, just a very weird sound coming from my neck or the back of my head.  Any clue?

Thank you,
Karen
Karen,

I have exactly the same thing.  My neck grinds and cracks with weird noises when I turn my head from side to side.  I did head MRI and it was normal.  My pcp doesn't know, but she suspect arithritis.  Maybe someone else have the same issues with some advise.  I am assuming some neck stretching and exercise might be beneficial.
I hear rice cripsy noise while turning my neck or head. My x-ray report is normal. Does any one knows its diagnosis and treatment. My name is Rajendra Singh and email: ***@****
This is most likely due to loss of disk between your vertibrae that could cause arthritis. I would find a chiropractor, get some x-rays done. Check the chiropractor's references thoroughly before hand. Your spine is not something to take lightly. Good luck and I'll be praying for you.
I have it too...nothing to worry about, just do some neck exercises, its help
Karen,
    I just asked an orthopedic surgeon about this and was told that it was degenerative, possibly arthritis, and that a lot of people have it. I have noticed it for the last couple months- it doesn't hurt, but the "crackling and crunching" IS a little unsettling. I would love to find out if neck exercises have any effect.
I GET THE NOISE WHEN I WALK AND CLIMB UP STAIRS, ALSO WHEN I GO TO BED IT'S ALWAYS THERE IT'S A PAIN DOES ANYONE GET MY SYMPTOMS AND ALSO DOES IT WAKE YOU AT NIGHT
AM 52 YEARS OLD i HAVE THE SAME THING i WOKE UP WITH A STIFF NECK THAT WOULD,NT GO AWAY FEELING  TIRED AND OFF BALANCE AND CRUNCHING NOISE WHEN i MOVE MY HEAD AROUND AFTER THE X RAYS ,MRIYHAVE 2 BONES OUT OF JOINT AND CHRONIC ARTHRITIS NOW i AM GOING TO  THERAPYBABS835
The audible sounds you're hearing are due to the process of joint degeneration within your cervical spine. It's a sign of weakening stability.

If you find a good Upper Cervical chiropractor (www.UpCspine.com) to stabilize the area, often times those noises will diminish, or go away altogether.
Yes its due to 3 things: 1) Sporting or wrestling somebody put you into a tight headlock for 15 -20 seconds. 2) Degenerative conditions of the Discs 3) When you reach age 41. All These Audible noises have no pain. Please see your Doctor as soon as possible and tell them the truth how it or could off happened. Put a Heat Pack on do some Physiopherapy, keep head straight when sleeping.
I have had the same problem. I had x-rays and an MRI. Started going to physical therapy and the therapist said it is muscle spasms. The results of the MRI were mild muscle spasms but otherwise negative same as my x-rays. I also have vertigo which is a bummer. The exercises help but my neck is in constant stiff mode...Not sure what else to do other than hope pt is the answer...
I have the cracking of the neck to and I know it is arthritis, I used to do the collanetics neck exersises, I guess it did work, if you have any additrional information about this please let me know.  

Also I wont get into details because it is a long story, but about 10 yrs ago 51 yrs old,I had a terrible ear infection and my neck cracking, they got me in Antibiotis and it did not help.  So by a circumstance that was a blessing I found out abuout "Angelica" (research it) well it cure my craking and Vertigo which was very severe.  Now 61 yrs old I had same problem and remembered the "Angelica" I am getting better, please check before using it. I has help me as a miracle and my Vertigo is almost Gone.
im 16 and ive been getting that noise in my neck sometimes, i think its something to do with fluid moving around your body, but its in the neck area so you can hear it, its nothing to worry about and theres nothing wrong with you. its normal