Back & Neck Community

hands

Please read my prior two emails first. My question on my hands is that I actually feel like I have arthritis in my fingers. Could this also be true and if so how to I find out. Or does the the fact my ventral cord is compressed give me the same feeling.
Hi -
Your hand pain can be a combination of the numbness/tingling resulting from the problems with your neck, but you could have co-existing arthritis.  There are two main types of arthritis. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disorder causing loss of cartilage between the individual bones. This causes the bones to rub together and produces pain and loss of movement.  Rheumatoid arthritis is a systemic and chronic disease affecting the synovium (lining) of the joint. It can usually be distinguished from osteoarthritis by distinctive swelling of the joints and distorted shape of the affected bones/joints.
If you are currently under the care of an orthopedic specialist, you can discuss your concerns with him and if a referral to a hand specialist is indicated, he would be better able to assist you.
This forum consists of members experiencing similar symptoms that are most likely related to abnormal conditions of the spine.  We are not doctors and can not provide a definitive diagnosis or treatment recommendations.  We encourage communication with your treating physician to be certain that your medical needs are addressed completely.
Based on your prior posts, it appears that you are contemplating surgery for your neck condition.  Before undergoing surgery it would be beneficial to discuss all of your concerns with your surgeon.  Successful surgery may not eliminate all of your symptoms and awareness of co-existing problems would be a key factor,
Your concern and desire to understand the source of your problems is best addressed with your treating physicians,