Back & Neck Community

rhomboid contractions anyone? every 30 seconds

I'm looking for anyone whose rhomboid spasms are more like a contraction that grips and releases every 30 seconds and will last for days? If you have this type of spasm, how do you get relief?
I've had this issue for years. Suddenly I get what feels like a needle in my back, then I know the contractions are on the way...I get a break (ha!) of 30-45 seconds between spasms. After a day or two of this, I just want a steroid shot in my back for relief (I've only had one years ago).  I've had an MRI, cat scan etc. I have a bulge at C7. After several tests with my neurologist she did an extensive blood series and discovered that I was extremely deficient in vitamins D, B-12 and iron. After 5 months on vitamins (prescription strength D) I didn't have one spasm, not one! She then took me off the vitamin dosage and here I am today with my first spasm in 10 months. I'm due for another round of blood work to compare before, during and after. I hope this helps someone, I never thought of vitamin deficiencies being an abetter to muscle spasms but after doing some research, it seems to be the situation. For my own personal relief when in full contractions - sitting still with switching out ice and heat, then sleep. Sometimes Xanax will help..anything to help my brain stop communicating to my muscle. I hate the muscle relaxers I was prescribed, they make me drunk dial. :)  
Looking forward to hearing thoughts on vitamins or if anyone else has the 30 second contraction spasms.
Hello Texkat, and welcom.

Rhomboid symptoms are common with some kinds of cervical disease because all cervical nerve roots join to form the long throracic nerve that innervates this area of the mid-back.

A smart physical therapist can sometimes help relieve this problem. Seek out a neck specialist.

Best wishes.