A
A
A
Close
Back & Neck Community
11.7k Members
1679858 tn?1346768781

weakness between shoulder blades when exercising

Hi, I have never posted here as I am an active member of the Chiari Malformation forum.  I have an 18mm cerebellum herniation, however, to date, my doctors don't believe it is causing me symtoms.  I was given the go ahead to do whatever I wanted, this was last June.
I am a 50 year old woman, who has been fairly active (off and on) doing aerobic exercise all my life.  When given the green light, I decided to go back to doing step classes.  Everything was fine until I had to get down and do push-ups and planks.  I felt as though all the muscles in my body could handle it, but I got this extreme, weird, weakness between my shoulder blades and knew I had to stop.  The next few days, I would have such fatique...but it was not a normal fatigue from simply just working out.  I stopped those classes and decided to try Yoga.  Thought it would be a gentler form of exercise.  Most classes were ok, but when I did a class that involved a higher amount of planks or downward dogs, I once again could feel that weakness.  I also started having slight pain in my arms, and then eventually my arms and legs.  It would just be a dull ache, but this pain all began in January, right when I started the Yoga (I keep a journal). My last two sessions of Yoga led me to two to three days of extreme fatigue and pain in my arms and legs.  My doctors seem to think I am dreaming things up, I think, because both neuro and neuro surgeon have said the Chiari is not affecting me...but something sure is.  Has anyone had a similar experience? I should also mention that I had a cervical mri done in Jan/12 and some mild to moderate ddd and osteoarthritis was found, but doctors say it is nothing and normal for my age.  Thank you for taking the time to read this...I am stumped and any info would be appreciated.  I will be seeing my GP in a week and want to make sure that I don't get blown off again!!!
2 Responses
1711789 tn?1361311607
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi there!

You symptoms are unlikely to be caused due to chiari. Likely causes that may need ot be considered include muscular fatigue/ spasm, overexertion/ improper technique, dehydration, neuro-muscular causes, injuries, inflammations, degenerations, nutrient/ micronutrient deficiencies, spinal issues etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician or an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
1679858 tn?1346768781
Thank you very much for your response! I may find out soon, as my GP has set up a thoracic and lumbar mri.  Hopefully, most of the above can be found by mri testing.  
Have an Answer?
Top Pain Answerers
st. louis, MO
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches