How do you know if this is for you?

Hi, I am in the process of getting gastric bypass surgery done.  I am really scared especially when I hear those horror stories about almost dying on the table.  But then, I hear alot of success stories.  How do you know if this is right for you?  I know you have to change your whole lifestyle permanently.  I understand it is not an easy way out.  It will take alot of work but I am sick of being so obese and not being able to do anything.  So, I have nothing really to lose except over 100 pounds.  So how many people know if it is the right thing to do?  
Any success stories?
go to www.obesityhelp.com for more info and to chat with more bariatric patients directly
Have you decided on the bypass or have you considered Lap Band?  I had the Band performed June 29, 2009, was only off work for 3 days, had no complications and very little pain, and have lost over 130 pounds in less than a year.  It is a lot less invasive, a lot less dangerous, and it's adjustable.  The main reason I chose it was that with bypass, the pouch they create will stretch over time and a lot of people end up gaining the weigh back.  Once I reach my goal, I will have some saline removed from the band so I can maintain the weight loss, and if I start to gain, it's just a needle stick to have it tightened up again.  I hope everything works out for you - if you consider the Band, let me know and I can give you more details.  Good luck!
Hi, I would but my insurance does not cover it and I don't have that kind of money.
thanks

You are reading content posted in the Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Forum

14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.