I have dark inner thighs and bikini area
I have light complexion, but really dark inner thighs and private parts. The difference is almost too much from my regular skin tone. The problem persists in my armpits as well, but to a lesser degree.

I believe the reason could be two things - one is my use of hair removing creams over the years (I've stopped now), and the second one is being overweight, so I have an issue of chub rub.

I want to know if there are any affordable dermatologist recommended creams or scrubs for this. And what are some preventive measures which would let me not have this problem again?
Usually the groin area and armpits are darker than the rest of the body. This is especially true for those with more melanin in their skin eg. Asians, Africans etc. There's nothing to prevent this, and creams aren't recommended for that area. You should see a dermatologist if it bothers you so that they can rule out any other cause of darkening and determine if this is normal or not.