Are Bio-Identical Hormones Drugs?

I've heard that bio-identical hormones are not drugs because they are molecular copies of the hormones made by women’s bodies. I've heard lots of pros and an equal number of cons, but I'm not a candidate for HRT due to my history of cancer and wondered if bio-identical hormones would help with my symptoms of menopause?

Thank you for your help

Sandy
Sandy,

Bio-identical hormones are drugs as defined by "something you take to have an effect on your body".  They often are more effective at alleviating symptoms of menopause, less dangerous, and often less costly than patented pharmaceuticals they advertise heavily on TV and in magazines.

Each patient is an individual.  Some patients with a history of cancer, depending on the type (ER+ or not), can take hormones. Regardless, when I see patients for consultations, I provide information on all options including meditation, diet, exercise, herbals and OTC supplements, and prescription drugs (especially bioidenticals).
I cannot take regular hormones either because of history of thrombosis so I will be watching your thread. Thanks for creating the new forum.
Black cohosh does not activate estrogen receptors (safe for breast cancer patients) nor does it increase the risk of thrombosis (blood clots).
A related discussion, bio hormones was started.
A related discussion, Prometrium Vs Provera To Thin Lining was started.

You are reading content posted in the Bio-Identical Hormones Forum

For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.