Bipolar Disorder Community

Bipolar Men

I'm wondering if there are men on this site that battle sexual urges when going through a manic phase?

Thanks,
Tase
Hypersexuality is well documented among bipolar people, men seem to have a higher want for sex at least physically, so we seek what makes us feel good and full of more chems that make us untouchable. Mania is a cruel mistress..
What about a heterosexual having homosexual impulses??  My md thinks that has to do with the hypersexuality of manic phase.  I have to wonder if part of the manic high is doing things that are risky, out-of- the norm, doing the opposite of how you are normally that give a rush.  I think about being carefree which means giving up the family and being by myself doing what I want no matter the consequences.  I feel as if during a manic phase I have a split personality and one struggles against the other...sounds crazy but I'm not supposed to use the crazy word.  but......   I appreciate your thoughts..and any input is appreciated.
Those impulses are quite normal, Sexuality is not as markedly black and white as we make it. I think the real urge is the taboo. Forbidden pleasures get us higher. Higher is the state of mania and the mind loe it, so does the body. I to feel like two different people sometimes. I am just one though, but I do wonder. Kinda like Tyler Durden was Jack's mania. I too have mine and sexual impule ranks almost the highest in need.
i im a 25yr old female in a very loving relationship with a man that i love more anything in the whole world but when im manic i only want to have sex with women im not bisexual as when im in a normal state i have no interest in women at all. so yes i think you can have homosexual impulses when manic
I think it falls under the risky behavior category... We want to "act out" what we normally do not do. I have the compulsions to have sex as much as I can, or sex overides all my normal thinking. Unless of course one of the other high risk categories takes over. Like driving fast, gambling, it all stems from the push the envelope of "bad" behaviors rush....

I mean what can be more exciting than finding a quick fix, dropping it, and driving of fast to the next chase. I like the hunt and chase when manic, once I get the sex, I am not very pleased with it or myself...
I am a gay male and I find in depression I need more "attention"  I find untouchable straight males more attractive.  Then get depressed they are untouchable.  God forbid one responded the way it plays out in my mind.  But yeah I have to agree sexuality is a blurry line.  It is the risk that is the turn on not the preference. When I am running normal I find straight men rude and annoying (no offense but I do).  Don't get my warped mind started on the ladies. (Sorry Mom)
I agree with everyone's post and certainly hypersexuality can be a problem. I've experienced it when off mood stabilizers (I have schizoaffective) which is something I would never do again but did before recovery. I am straight but do have some kind of gender identity issue that emerges during mania. I'm not sure if that's inherited or because I experienced childhood sexual abuse. The only thing I don't agree with as regards the posts is the idea that sexual orientation emerges only during mania. A person be bisexual and feel uncomfortable with or repress sexual desires towards the same sex and they only emerge during the disinhibition of mania. Since sexual preference is not in any way defined as a psychiatric disability, its better to come to terms with it emotionally. If someone doesn't want to express it that's fine but if they accept that side of themselves, its probably for the best. Mania does cause sexual disinhibition but it doesn't change sexual preference.
   I'd say as a concern far greater than sexual preference during mania is not using protection during sex. As well in "experimentation" a woman is more at risk of getting taken advantage of and a man is more likely to be sexual aggressive but as not to be stereotypical I suppose it could work the other way around. If people are taking mood stabilizers as prescribed but still have mood variances that cause sexual behavior that may fall in this category if things can't be adjusted its best to talk to a therapist about what to do during those times though consenting adult and safe sex must always apply regardless.
  You must be a very lonely man....
  I think it would be a mistake to give the impression here that ALL bisexuality is practiced by only bipolar people. I have found this discussion very interesting as my boyfriend is - in theory - bisexual. Oh, he has delved into this sexual proclivity many times in the past but when he is with a physically affectionate female (moi) you can't pay him to go there (and I've tried). Does this mean then that he is bipolar...hmmm...I must say I HAVE considered it (for other reasons).
I think I could comment as even though I am straight and have a girlfriend as one agency I did part time work for years ago did work with Gay Men's Health Crisis. There is a whole spectrum of attraction as regards sexual preference. Just as sexual preference is not to be confused with gender identity of which there is a whole spectrum there as well. I am straight and identity as a guy and dress normally but some of me does not identify as male though again I don't know whether that's from a traumatic childhood experience or some genetic disposition or both though I know that this experience has caused some form of sexual aversion disorder in me.
   What's more important to me and something that GMHC did work on was the idea of promoting safe sex and the issue of risk taking sexual behavior during emergent mania is one they did address as they had some groups there for mental health consumers and it was a very serious matter as some people (including straight people) had contracted HIV by not practicing safe sex and it occured as part of the "risk taking" behavior that is highly common in manic episodes in general.
I am hypersexual and have increased sex drive during manic and hypomanic phases.  One of the signs I am in a depressive phase is loss of interest in sex.

Interestingly my clinical psych suggest that masturbating is very effective in therapy for a number of states including insommnia and anxiety - she has seen a number of male and female patients for whom fantasy and masturbation work very well as therpautic steps when hyper sexuality is present as well.

As to sexuality, I am married and heterosexual but I have had same sex experiences in the past and would describe myself as situationally bi - I don't think its got a lot to do with bp but I think hypersexuality may increase openness in this area and interest in sexual partners regardless of sex in some people.
Ok,,I go a step further with the manic/odd different sexual desires.  When I'm manic,,I don't want a male, I want my wife to do me with a strap on!  I have no desire for homosexual sex but I know if I start to think about that again,,it could be a sign of oncoming mania.  Otherwise, it doesn't really interest me!  weird huh,,,at least I think it is,,,,
Oh yes...I know first hand about the hypersexuality.  I am Bipolar I, and recently had a manic episode that lasted about 1.5 months.  I would say that the hypersexuality was the one thing that I had the most problems dealing with.  It started about three weeks before any of the other symptoms did.  Right now, I am in the midst of coming down slowly - about 3/4 of the way back to normal, and I am still having the increased sex drive.  I have always had a high sex drive, but nothing like this.