Bipolar Disorder Community

Bipolar and Bulimia

Hi- I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 disorder 5 years ago.  My manic episodes (which usually display as rage/ irritability/ delusions) are precipitated by the use of anti-depressants.  I also have struggled on and off with bulimia since the age of 16.  I know that I need to be off of anti-depressants.  They make me angry and irritable.  However, when I stop taking anti-depressants, within a month I am struggling with depression and bulimia (which is under control with Wellbutrin). My doctor recommended increasing the Seroquel while I continue on the Wellbutrin.  I did and I could not think clearly. I couldn't remember anything. I am a Systems Analyst and I need to be able to concentrate. Maybe I am asking for too much- but do you know of any medication/ combination that may be helpful for bipolars with bulimia? We have tried removing the anti-depressants and increasing the Provigil or Lamictal. It still resulted in depression/ bouts of bulimia. I am currently taking 100-200 mg Provigil, 300 mg Wellbutrin, 150 mg Seroquel and 150 mg Lamictal.  Although the bulimia is under control- I am angry and moody.  This is harming my relationship with my husband and family.
Not sure if it can be mixed with your current "cocktail" but Risperdal helped me.  google it or talk to your Doc about it.  Don't get scared off cause it says it treats schizo because most of bipolar meds treat other problems.  Only reason my Doc. changed me is the cost because I have no insurance.
Cymbalta seemed to really improve many of my symptoms.  Apparently there are three receptors being tweeked with this drug... it stimulates increases in  serotonin–norepinephrine–dopamine  as a re-absorption  inhibitor (SNDRI).  I was experiencing recovery from a similar vicious cycle within a week of being on it at 80mg.  The relief you feel from the binging is caused by increases in your bodies dopamine creation, while the norepinephrine helps with motivation and is some-how related to the "flight or flight" responses.  I think these will help you, break the cycle, but the behavioral side of this needs specialized tools to work with to overcome...  

Best Wishes
You should read up on borderline personality disorder. The fact that you have body issues may be because of something else.
Hey there,
I'm a 21 year old female. I'm a recovering bulimic & I'm bipolar. My bulimia started when I was 16 also. I haven't binged/purged in over a year. I've been doing quite well the past year on these medications:
Lamictal- 200mg
Abilify- 5mg
Adderall- 20mg.
I'd highly recommend this combo. I mean, it's worth a shot. The adderall helps me concentrate. I used to have bouts of rage and was often violent. That completely went away, and I'd say I'm actually quite "laid back" and optimistic now. I've tried dozens of med combos, and this one has been the best BY FAR for me. :)