Bipolar Disorder Community

Escape Plan

What coping strategies have you used in the past for when you start having suicidal ideation and things happen for example such as a plan pops into your head and you hear voices in your thoughts as loud as if someone's talking telling you you should be dead?  I've tried calling professionals for help and all I've been told is that I'm basically on my own once I leave a hospital and they're not going to help me stand on my own feet so I figure what the hell's the point of even bothering with them and so I'd like to know what you guys have done to cope with stuff like this so I can try to cope better on my own until I can get my medication refilled.  I'm getting to where I'm having breakdowns in public and I'm trying to bottle it all up so I don't come across as a total nutcase and I feel guilty for how it creates chaos for the people I do open up to so it's really hard.
In the past before recovery when I went to psychiatric hospitals they all had outpatient programs and follow up. I never had a problem with suicidal ideations but if I had when released they would have directed me what to do. I do generally advise coping solutions but it sounds as if things are getting out of hand and they are not listening. If your psychiatrist is directly aware of this and won't help you you can speak to an agency that protects your rights as regards care in a psychiatric hospital and they will instruct them to. When a person is discharged they are supposed to insure follow up. Hospital stays are often short due to insurance reasons and people can leave and have relapses.
i have suicidal thoughts all the time, i deal with them with prayer and reading my bible. i don't know if you believe in god but if you do trust that he is there with you. i always remind myself if i kill myself i won't go to heaven and that helps. (please, i don't mean to offend anyone), if you don't believe in god, call a support person like a friend or family member when you are thinking these things, that does help me some too. make an in-between appointment with your psychologist or therapist. remember that your friends and family would be devastated if you weren't around! try thinking about how other people would deal with the situation if you died. i know it's just a part of bipolar but it stinks!  also try writing down your feelings in a journal to find out if there is any pattern to the thoughts. mine have no rhyme or reason but if something bad happens i always have the thoughts. this too will pass, i tell myself, and it does eventually. maybe you need a change of medicine, talk to your psychiatrist. good luck
What coping strategies have you used?
Corlenbelspar, you should re-post this question periodically because it is so important. Get it right and you are on the pathway to wellness.

I think these are high priority:-

Assemble a support group (including family) and make sure they fully understand your problems including medications. People you can call anytime.

Train yourself to recognise oncoming symtoms.

Have a crisis plan.

Keep everything regular (sleep, no stress etc.) - just bunker down and see the storm out.
Well, you need to take in to consideration what ILADVOCATE said.

ILADVOCATE: how would one go about finding an agency like that? If he did, would they help him get care after the hospital? And how soon could he do this?

Asking for others coping strategies are good, but having your meds that work for you are going to be good too. Please keep coming on here, don't stop that, keep messaging and posting. The reason things are getting so out of control is your lack of medication, you need to get into a hosptial w/ someone who will advocate for you to get you immediate after care.
  I would say that a person's psychiatrist can assign them a social worker. They can coordinate things. A case manager as well. All hospitals are responsible for a "discharge plan" and if its a psych. hospital that includes coordination with a social worker and setting up plans for after the hospital such as outpatient treatment, support groups if needed and certainly what to do if a person isn't doing well when they are released and needed follow up. Those always did with me but I did not need those specific services. That said before my current recovery when I left the psych. hospital my psychiatrist always followed up to see if I was stable.
  Coping solutions are always a good idea when we feel depressed or have thoughts of this nature but when they start to become realistic then its time to speak to your psychiatrist and if you were just hospitalized and they aren't following up then the hospital didn't do part of what its requiured to do. Did they set up a discharge plan and what to do if things hadn't stabilized?

My advice is harsh but i think relevent to all of us. Flood your mind with guilt when you get the thoughts and realise that how ever bad you feel there will always be someone who loves you and if you kill yourself you will be killing them inside and causing them the same level of pain you are in, in effect simply passing you pain on to those who care about you. Thats something that gets me through when im bad as like you psychaitrists refuse to help me. Just remember it always passes even when it seems hopless, in time it does pass and youll be fantastic again.