Bipolar Disorder Community

How long will this manic state last?

I have recently found out that the "episodes",as I have called them in the past, are manic states that I get about once a year and is from having Bipolar Disorder, which I just found out that I have as well. A lot all at once. So what I'm trying to find out is, how long is this manic state going to last? Are they different each time? My doc just put my on 1/2 mg of klonopin in the a.m. and 1/2 in the p.m. I took my first dose this evening and I don't feel any different. I'm still hyper, my brain is going faster than the word will come out. My anger level is so high and I have nooo patience for anything including people right now. Can anyone please help me figure this out,cause my doc didn't do a very good job of explaining any of these things to me?
t
  The amount of time manic episodes occur tends to vary not just from person to person but depending on what specific type of bipolar the person is diagnosed with. It would be worthwhile to ask your psychiatrist about that as they could explain the specifics. Klonopin (which I myself am prescribed in addition to many other medications) is an anti-anxiety medication with mood stabilization properties. It isn't always quite as effective as a full mood stabilizer but only a psychiatrist would understand the specifics. Generally in bipolar manic and depressive episodes occur at certainly frequencies and there are times in between where a person experiences some form of stability but the specifics are complex.
I do know when I experience mixed states such as an agitated mixed state that has aspects of both mania and depression where a person feels angry at the world that responds to specific medications and psychiatrists are aware of this. This has some worthwhile information to discuss with your psychiatrist:
http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Mental-Health/Useful-Bipolar--Depression-Webisites/show/523?cid=105
They should be discussing what they are concerned about and treating with you more fully  so that they can work with you on how to continue to adjust treatment as necessary and also how to best help you.
Next time you see the psychiatrist come armed with a paper that has all these questions on it. Klonpin alone doesn't seem like very much. Most people with bipolar get a mood stabilizer like lithium, depakote, or lamictal (lamotrigine - generic). But your psychiatrist may have some very good and specific reasons you got the medication you did.

As for length of time an episode lasts. At least 4 days according to the Diagnostic Manual the psychiatrists use and the length beyond that is anyone's guess. Sometimes it is years, sometimes weeks, sometimes months. And a certain subset of people get both Mania and Depression at the same time which is called a mixed state. That is harder to treat.

The most important thing is to do what you can. Eat healthy, take omega oils, try to avoid stressors, exercise. These things won't stop a mood episode but they can make it less severe.

Good luck
I have made the internet my best friend when it comes to finding out about my Bi-Polar/Manic Depression. Medications, symptoms, different types of episodes and every other question i have. I have been dealing with this for 16 yrs and treating it for most of that. I still have questions that are unanswered, and med's that don't work. Not to mention i still ride the roller coaster every day with not real cure. It stinks but it's a life long pain you know where, for some and easy to handle for others. My manic episodes have lasted for 51/2 weeks before. I just never know. Best wishes -Mary
Hi iamtoni and marebear74..I haven't been on here for a few days so id just like to say hello!
It is very hard when you have just been diagnosed but keep in mind that you have coped and survived this all of your lives, being diagnosed is a positive, it gives you a reason and a way forward, you can now get the help you need..
My bipolar has never been defined as bp1 or 2, I think its a uk thing, my doc says I'm multi polar, each depressive episode is different and so is each manic, I've had episodes last for years, months and days. It can depend on what is happening in your life, for women hormones can be a trigger or cause a change, physical health is also a factor. For all of us insight is the key, knowledge is power, and each of us finds our own way of dealing with episodes and preventing them. You will get there!
Hugs
Thumbs up! I could not agree more. Nice to meet u!
Nice to meet you too!