Aa
A
A
A
Close
Bipolar Disorder Community
5.02k Members

I just stopped taking risperdal and got insomnia.

I was taking risperdal for 6 month (4MG) and stopped "cold turkey" as the doctor suggested. now for 2 month i am having insomnia. can not sleep more then 3 hours per night.

What can i do and how long should it take to get my normal sleep? how long the insomnia last?
1 Responses
973741 tn?1342342773
hi OrenCohen.  I want to welcome you to Med Help.  Is your doctor aware of this side effect you are associating with discontinuing the Risperdal?  All medications such as this can have withdrawal issues.  Cold turkey going without Risperdal would be very rare for a doctor to recommend.  Are you sure this was what your doctor wanted you to do?  Again, this is not a normal recommendation and especially for a 4 mg dose.  You need to see your doctor again.  Now, it's been 2 months.  Not sure if any withdrawal symptoms would still be going on.  Is there any chance that the insomnia is related to the bipolar?  Risperdal helps control mania, could that be returning?  You can try different things for sleep but need to work with your doctor.  They could prescribe something short term to help or you cold try melatonin.  So, speak to your doctor for specific guidance of your situation.  good luck and let us know how you are doing!
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.