Aa
A
A
A
Close
Bipolar Disorder Community
5.01k Members
Avatar universal

Just diagnosed

I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder for the first time at age 25. My dr had started me on lamictal and cymbalta (I also have fibromyalgia)

I'm really just looking for information about it to understand it better and something my husband can hear or read to get him to understand that it is something I can not control even though in know when I'm doing it. Any suggestions?
2 Responses
585414 tn?1288941302
  Yes this might be of help for informational purposes:
http://www.medhelp.org/tags/health_page/34/Mental-Health/Useful-Bipolar--Depression-Webisites?hp_id=523N
Also organizations such as NAMI have informational literature that can be helpful for people who don't understand what a psychiatric disability is and they have friend and family support groups that can be of help in this regard as well. Some outpatient clinics have specific mood disorders support groups that can also be of help as for coping skills and support. I used to go to one myself in the past.
Avatar universal
Julie Fast and John Preston have a book called "Loving someone with bipolar disorder" It is an older book so it shouldn't be too expensive. I think I saw it on Amazon the last time I was there.

I have fibromyalgia too. Bipolar disorder is more common among people with Fibromyalgia. I found for myself that the lamictal helped with FMS as well. Sometimes cymbalta can cause a switch into mania. Less likely because you are on the lamotrigine but something just to watch out for.

There are a number of good bipolar books. The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide has just come out with its second edition. Its author is David. Miklowitz. It is really comprehensive and would be about the most up to date book on the market. It is $19 Canadian so it is probably even cheaper in the US. I have the first edition and just ordered the second edition for myself. The other one I like is Taking Charge of Bipolar Disorder and it is another one by Julie Fast. It is less comprehensive but easier to follow.

It does get easier with time and some hard work. Medication will get you about 60% of the way there. The other 40% is learning about your illness to avoid those things that trigger episodes, and doing things like exercising and eating well. There is a lot outside your control so it is important to do everything you can to tip the balance in the right direction.
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Avatar universal
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.