A
A
A
Close
Bipolar Disorder Community
5.02k Members
329165 tn?1515471990

Lithium

I have complex PTSD and Bipolar Disorder 1.  I was diagnosed in September 2013 during a manic attack and started medication regime:  Lithium (225+450) and 300mg Seroqual.  Now, 2 years + later, my Thyroid is under active due to Lithium and my Psychiatrist wants to change Lithium to something else.

My challenge:  I start a new job next week (after being unemployed for 7 months and really need this job!) and a few weeks ago I went low on my Lithium (skipped a few morning doses and ended up in mixed episodes and had a spider-related psychosis!)

I am really anxious about one day changing my Lithium.  I was wondering how long can I be on it before it will damage my kidneys like it is effecting my thyroid now?
1 Responses
6726276 tn?1421126668
I couldn't tolerate lithium. One girl in my support group has bad hand tremors.
I took Lamictal for a while.
Now I'm on Ativan, Effexor and at night 100 mg Seraquel and Temazepam.
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.