Aa
A
A
A
Close
Bipolar Disorder Community
5k Members

Pdoc keeps wanting to add more meds, I feel the ones I have are working?

Currently I'm on a mood stabilizer Lamictal which is helping some but not completely. My pdoc now wants to add an antipsychotic too. She claims most people are on 2 or more meds, not just 1.

I already had an adverse reaction to 1 antipsychotic so I'm very fearful of antipsychotics. She is getting frustrated with me. How should I proceed?
2 Responses
16599792 tn?1449534752
Personally, she's your psych so honestly she needs to hear you out. I would literally say to her what you just said "I grasp that you would like to add an antipsychotic but I am very uncomfortable with antipsychotics and in general they make me very uneasy because I had a really bad experience. Can we possibly move in a different direction than an antipsychotic because that is something I am not okay with and am bottom line uncomfortable doing with, let's look at other possibilities" I've had similar experiences with my psychiatrist where I needed to speak up, and genuinely if you tell them and express your feelings they will work with you on what you want. I too refuse to be on any  antipsychotic for bad experiences as well along with any medication with possible weight gain side effect, so I understand! And personally just express how you feel in the calmest way possible
6726276 tn?1421130268
Hi. I'm on 4 meds per day. It's known as a med cocktail. Because bipolar is a chemical imbalance a lot of people need more than one med.
  It's a trail and error. Or sometimes you may have to switch meds because of a med burn out.
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.