Aa
A
A
A
Close
Bipolar Disorder Community
5.02k Members

Potential for repeat behavior

My daughter, who is 49, has been bipolar for 25 years. In 2005, after being off her medication for almost 45 days, she had an arguement with her 80 year old mother who she had been living with most of her life and ended up pushing her down the stairs. She, my daughter, was arrested for murder, but was found not guilty by reason of insanity. The fear of some others is that she will do it again to them. That is murder them. I tried to explain that not only were the dynamics different, but my daughter is in a far better place relative to taking her meds and understanding the consequences. What are the odds of her harming anyone again? In particular, a family member.
1 Responses
585414 tn?1288941302
  This would be a concern that would be best discussed with her psychiatrist and potentially a lawyer who specializes in mental health issues. It depends if she continues to understand at all times the need for taking medication as prescribed and regardless violent behavior isn't generally associated with bipolar so it would be essential to receive appropriate counseling as regards this and follow their advice.
Have an Answer?
Top Mood Disorders Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Discover the common symptoms of and treatment options for depression.
We've got five strategies to foster happiness in your everyday life.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.