Seven Sins

I was looking over the seven sins the other day and stumbled on to the article saying the church used to consider depression without joy to be a deadly sin.

"In early Christian thought, the lack of joy was regarded as a wilful refusal to enjoy the goodness of God and the world God created; by contrast, the apathy was regarded as a spiritual affliction that discouraged people from their religious work."

People with mental illness have just been at the brunt of ignorance throughout all of history.  I guess with everything it takes time to find the truth.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Oh yeah I forgot to add this saying that made me really angry.
Helpful - 0
they also thought mania was the devil in a person possessed, religion and medical science dont always agree.
Helpful - 0
Well that was a long while back long before the concept of mental illness was understood, let only standard psychology which wasn't understood until Freud. Stepping aside from any religious beliefs, I would say that what was defined as anger could be classified as a normal emotion although hatred is not but that can be part of an agitated mixed state. Sloth could be part of the lack of energy of depression. And gluttony could now be classified as part of an eating disorder. Willfull excess might still be defined as of concern within certain religious beliefs but having a mental illness is thought of as a seperate entity. Psychiatry respects religious beliefs and there are psychiatric hospitals that are funded by certain churches or other faiths. You can't go by the thinking of the middle ages for anything as medicine and disease were not understood. However, what defines psychosis is cultural and religious based as well. Many normal people of the middle ages believed in what are known now to be imaginary animals but before my current recovery I had a fixation or obsession on medieval animals that was somewhat psychotic. Faith based healing or prayer is helpful for those who are religious and the modern church does not classify any behaviors from mental illness as a sin. If you look back through the history of medicine there was a lot society as a whole didn't know then.
Helpful - 0
And if you look at the back of the DSM-4 you will find specific psychiatric criteria for conditions that are thought to be real within other countries or cultures (generally outside of western thought) but not classified within current psychiatry. I'd say my concern as regards discrimination is people who don't know or understand it and that is often people who don't seek to understand it or classify any behavior they see of concern in a person with a psychiatric disability as "crazy". Ignorance can come from any direction. I would not look at the past but at what occurs now.
Helpful - 0
Well I know it's centuries in the past I just got angry about it in the moment but still feel frustrated about it now because history repeats itself with things like this and most of us humans assume things with every new thing that comes along that we don't understand and everyone with some new theory for example is always called crazy at first even though the past has shown it gets respected later even though it's still a theory and a law can be disputed and destroyed.  Like I was told Nostradamus used to be called crazy because he bathed every day and you know now you're called crazy if you do the exact opposite and yet people still call other people crazy when something like this happens.  It's like how someone pointed out if a black person votes against gay marriage that kind of... you know... yeah.  I don't know I don't understand things like that.  I'm just seeing a big never ending cycle here and nothing is getting better with it.
Helpful - 0
I think my frustration just stems from how most of the world makes no logical sense to me with that crap and it's in just about everything.
Helpful - 0
Well, as a certifiably overcomitted true to the bone, Born again Christian, I  have a different idea. I can be in the bottom of the pit, alone, it is dark and by the power of God there can be a glimmer of joy.  Why? Because joy is not dependent on how we feel, it is not a feeling, emotion, it is a gift. Joy transcends all.  It is by the gift of the Spirit that even for a moment....at times...sometime, especially at church, but it comes even in the loneliness or darkness.  Give yourself a break. Christians are people with faults and mostly we don't immulate Christ but we get it. Others who have that hole in their heart, it was placed there not by human hands, to draw near to God not to push further away because of imperfect sinfilled people who love Him.
Helpful - 0
Oh! And we are under grace of the New Testament given freely by Christ, prophesied in the Old Testament.  Laws are for learning how to live but it is by Grace that I am free.
Helpful - 0
I too am confused by the world. I don't understand why people hurt each other, or why people don't want to take care of each other. So many people are just out for themselves and hate everyone else who is different. I don't understand.

But, in the past there was a time when if you had a tooth ache a preist would come and pray over your tooth. If you took a medicine for it, then you were considered working magic and the devil. Now, if you have a tooth ache you go to the dentist and they fix it and give you medicine, but if you go to your priest and have him pray for it, then you're crazy. Like you said, it just flipped around.

Also in the past if you were born with a deformity or obvious birth-defect, chances are you would have been left to die as an infant. People thought it meant the devil was in the baby. Luckily that doesn't happen any more.
Helpful - 0
We, from the beginning had choices. Once sin entered into the picture, it grew and grew. People did through babies on rocks if deformed, have been preforming abortions for convenience sake for thousands of years. Us, writing posts in this room mainly are BP but some have other mental maladies. Sometimes, mainly with extended family, I feel like a reject or am talked down to, but most of the time I am open about it. I have BP11, for good or bad it is there occupying my brain and emotions.  I will die sooner than expected because of the meds I put in my body, just fact. BUT, I am smarter than most, I'm a whole lot nicer than most I meet and stronger because of the BP11.
So let them throw stones, stare, not want to know me, because those that are in the inner circle love me mostly unconditionally.  So Religious leaders over the years have skewed the view of the Christ.  He is and will always be the only One who loves you unconditionally 100 percent and without merit to what you have done or have.zzz
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Bipolar Disorder Community