Bipolar Disorder Community

Tegratol side effects

I started on Tegratol (carbamazepine) on Saturday, my tummy has bloated and I am constipated!!!!  Also have this weird foggy head feeling yet can't sit still for long.  I'm just wondering how others have reacted to this medication.  I know its early days.
Namaste,

Tegretol is used in the treatment of seizure disorders, including certain types of epilepsy. It is also prescribed for trigeminal neuralgia (severe pain in the jaws) and pain in the tongue and throat. In addition, some doctors use Tegretol to treat alcohol withdrawal, cocaine addiction, and emotional disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder and abnormally aggressive behavior. The drug is also used to treat migraine headache and "restless legs."

All of the symptoms you describe are consistent with the use of Tegretol especially in the early stages.

As your body becomes acustomed to it, these side effects should dissipate.

Michael

I wonder have your pdoc considered lamictal. Do you know of any comparative study between tegretol and lamictal. I am BP II.
ezz
Hi, I would have to do some research on a lamictal tegretal study.  I'm not sure whether lamictal is licensed in the UK, something else I shall have to look into.

Helen
Hi again, I have done a quick research on lamictal - it is not licensed in the UK for the treatment of mood disorders so I would not be able to get it.  It appears that lamictal is given when all others have failed to do the job adequately, so perhaps that means that it has a higher success rate than tegratol etc.  It is the same with topomax, I asked my pdoc for that but it has not yet been licensed for mood disorders yet it can be prescribed for severe migraine!  Oh well.  The tegratol does seem to helping a little, my mood swings seem to have calmed down and I don't feel like a zombie, just slightly thick headed on and off throughout the day, also the bloatedness and constipation should ease up once my body gets used to it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the one for me.

I mean aside from effectiveness the side effects compared. Lamictal is a new drug. Tegretol is very old and cheaper. Where I come from (Egypt) pdocs are more accustomed to writing tegretol. They also say since it is old the complications and side effects are known to them. Lamictal in all yahooforums is more reputable i 've seen everybody on it. except for rashes. but tegretol does too. I would have thought - contrary to what you sai- that tegretol is more effective because all pdocs have 3 options (lithium, depakot, tregretol) so it is thought the 3 most effective. But some sites say lamictal is as good as lithium.
ezz
I think it depends where you live, if you are in America then Lamictal is prescribed, if you live in the UK or Egypt then Tegratol is prescribed.  The side effects seem to be similar and as you say the effects of tegratol are well known because it has been around for so long.  Pdocs have a lot more than 3 options for mood disorder drugs, lithium is another old one, depakote is relatively new in the treatment of mood disorders, but there are so many others.  It depends on the area you live, your pdoc and what your body will accept.  What suits some does not suit another which is why it is common for lots of different medications to be tried before finding the "right" one.  So which one are you taking and how have you found it?

I tend to be a little careful when reading research as each research is always going to be slightly biased in some way, newer drugs obviously haven't had the same extensive and intensive research done on them as the older drugs so I don't think it is really possible to do an accurate comparative study, mainly due to the fact that numbers of people taking or having taken the drug are going to be vastly different.