Bipolar Disorder Community

seroquel

will seroquel effect women sexually? i have searched the internet with no luck. i would be interested to hear other side effects as well. also, if anyone would like to tell me their experiences (both good and bad)  with the drug i would really appreciate it. thanks in advance.
Affect in what way?  Sexual dysfunction ie loss of libido is a common side effect for a lot of psychiatric drugs but it doesnt effect everyone.

This is the list of most common side effects :

* feeling sleepy
* falling, feeling dizzy or faint on
standing up
* weight gain, increased appetite
* feeling weak
* constipation
* dry mouth
* runny or stuffy nose
* indigestion
* upset stomach
* swelling of your hands, feet or
ankles
* blurred vision
* difficulty swallowing
* abnormal dreams, nightmares
* irritability

Sexual dysfunction isnt on there but one of the serious side effects is long lasting and painful erections and it can cause diabetes and even breast growth in some extreme cases (very rare I am told, i asked about that one !).

I take 900mg of Seroquel a day split 800mg XR and 100mg normal as a sleeper - Seroquel has been a life saving drug to me, It stabilised my mixed state and its keeps me going very well.  I get side effects, everyone does from antypical anti-psychotics.  Mine are feeling tired all the time (less since I switched to XR), weight gain (yes it does oh boy does it ever - not as bad as Zyprexa but you need to watch the appetite) dry mouth, runny nose, stomach upsets at times.  I take longer to get moving in the morning but caffeine is a saviour.

Oh and it brought on my Diabetes - i was pre-diabetic and its of note that it can do that to people who are pre but not yet diabetic.

Most of the side effects are common to the drug type and Seroquel has less it seems than some like Risperdal and Geodon to name but 2 with bad reps for side effects.

All in all it works wonders for me, I feel normal and the side effects are not serious and come and go, I take it with Lithium and Abilify and it seems to work well, just make sure you read the information statement - you can find one here : http://www.drugs.com/seroquel.html

Hope that helps in some way.
Like any of the current generation of antipsychotics Seroquel can cause prolactin elevation which can cause sexual dysfunction (temporary) in both men and women. If you are experiencing any side effect of this nature speak to your psychiatrist about it.
I have a new Rx for this but haven't started taking it yet. When I do, I'll let you know what side effect I have.
loss of libido can't be sure, though at high dose you feel lethargic indeed. seroquel has been for me a God send preventing mixed states. It also makes you sleep well. But my dose is small 50mg maximum and most of the time 25mg. I can't dispense of it it's my main drug. Like all other atypical of course there is the possibility of acquiring diabetes and they say cataract too but nothing is definite about that because the persons affected by cataract in different forums were mainly old thus having the greater risk.

Seroquel can be used as monotherapy as MS because although a strong antimanic but doesn't worsen depression. However for me a higher dose of it makes me very tired, not depressed really but very tired not being able to function. Also if i stop taking my daily 25mg at least i become agitated, restless, with motor activity and becomes nearly manic. In my view one of the best drugs this is why they reckon the 4th sold drug worldwide. The only 2 AP's I use are risperidone and seroquel so really i can't judge compared to the others like the newer abilify or the stronger zyprexa say.

There is a point here though is that even if I find it excellent for me it can be not suitable for you. In my view it's all trial and error this is what i find until you find a good combo, the proof no two patients take the same combo nor the same dose. whether BP1, 2 or else, everybody suits himself. But I assume regarding your specific question: sex, all psych drugs decrease the urge or at least the majority and all of them except a few i suppose makes you put on weight too and above all especially the antipsychotics
Seroquel makes everyone tired, its used as sleeper for cancer patients for that reason as well as stimulating appetite.  The XR less so.

I specifically stated to my doctor that when I said I needed to go on meds that I do NOT want anything which will cause more weight gain. And he put me on Seroquel. I've been on a week and now wondering if I should stop immediately as I see here everyone says that it causes weight gain. I'm so pissed off. I don't understand why the doctors I see ignore me when I talk about this. I'm 150 pounds on a 5'3" frame (I gained 15 pounds on epival) ...and I can not get any bigger as it's all around my waist. I can't fit into any of my clothes and I feel horrible about a midsection that makes me look 9 mo's pregnant. I don't know what to do. I'm also really shaky on it and I'm only on a 50mg pill a day.