Bipolar Disorder Community

zyprexa

does zyprexa increase dopamine?
Zyprexa (Olanzapine) is an atypical antipsychotic meaning that it is both an agonist and antagonist of the dopaminergic pathways. In English, this means that it acts to decrease dopamine in certain areas of the brain where it is too high and increase it in areas where it is too low.
However, if you are concerned with your medication or have any queries about it or its side effects please contact your pdoc.
First I am not a physician. Nor am I a pharmacist.  That out of the way I am knowledgeable on herbal health  True Zyprexa is not an herbal med.  However there is a concept in herbal medicine called adaptogen.   These are natural substances that either decrease or increase certain chemicals in the body. In other words they balance out the chemical substance in the individual.  
Examples are Suma, Schizandra, Ginseng(American, Chinese, Korean).
The notion that this 2nd generation neuroleptic either decreases or increases domamine sounds to me like this drug (generic Olanzapine) may behave  like an adaptogen in a brain with someone with schizophrenia and/or bipolar.
I have taken Zyprexa 5mg for the last 11 years. It puts you in a state of moderate depression. I took SAM-e 400mg and went hypomanic I the cut out wheat grains.dairy and sugar from my diet and
no depression,no chronic fatige asthma allbut gone,motivation back,
productivity restored,

food intolerances masquerading as mental illness.

58 years of my life wasted !

fingers2