A problem With Fleas

Ok I have never seen this with any bird I have owned until now. My goffin has fleas. I know she got them from our dogs and I want to get rid of them but I am not sure how to on a bird. Any suggestions?
That is different. I see a lot of mites (very tiny critters, like a period (.) and they come in huge bunches up your arm) and lice (more flea like, not quite as big and you'll see one or two at a time crawling around). We use commercial sprays for birds that treat mites and lice. Never spray it directly in the bird's face. We spray it on a cloth and gently rub all over the bird's body, especially under the wings. Gets kind of tricky when treating an Osprey or hawk but it has to be done.

i would call a vet and to make sure you get something safe for tropical birds...but it does sound like mites, i have never heard of birds getting fleas...
buy ivermactine spot on treatment or water solution which you can add to drinking water. It works rather than poison the poor bird
I use ivermectin at work and it's powerful stuff. My boss treated a batch of young chipmunks I had that were developing mange. He did a tiny bit in each one and by morning they were all dead. That was after all the seizures they went through first. Not a good night for me or for them.

The lice/mite spray we use is specifically for pet birds. We actually get it from a local pet store. Yet we use it on the wild birds without any problem. If you're really unsure what to do, take the bird to the vet. Better safe than sorry.
this is where i wouldnt know what to do?  if the wild birds you take care of ireneo can handle it, does this mean that it is ok for tropical birds also?  i really wouldnt know about it either way...LOL!  thanks...
You mean the lice spray? I would say that since the spray is designed for pet birds which are most often "exotic" then the spray would be safe to use. Not many people have native wildlife for pets (it's illegal by the way). The main thing is to follow the directions on the bottle. Next time you're in a pet store, stop by the bird section and look at the lice/mite sprays. See what you think. You would know more about the pet birds than I.

Ivermectin is often used in horses. When I'm using it I calculate dosages at 0.2cc per Kg for birds. To give you an idea, an average Red Tailed Hawk would get that amount. And 0.2cc is just a few drops, maybe 4, of medicine. Can you imagine scaling it down to a budgie? I do that at work but I know how to dilute it and calculate from there.

I'm not sure about heavy dosage of ivermactine for cattles.
There is a special ivermactine for birds.If it is a budgie you need to buy 0.1%  ivermactine.its only for small cage birds.(not the one for cattles)
If you are live in england you can buy it from shops.
i bought it from ebay store, they post it to me.
Ivermactine can be deadly for other animals such as sheep dogs...

That's good to know. The ivermectin we use is donated to us and is for horses. It's quite effective at treating many parasites, internal as well as external. A person just has to pay attention to strength of med and dosing.
Thanks for all the answers. I am still unsure of what to use but I think the fleas are gone since I havent seen any and she always opens her feathers. (she's a juvenile so I can sometimes see most of the skin when I move the feathers) My boyfriend took her to the vet and they also didn't spot any on her. Again thanks for all the answers.

You are reading content posted in the Birds Community

For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.