Birds

My cockatiel is about 27 years old we have had him 15 years inherited when my Granny was moved to a nursing home (RIP) now today since noon Pretty Boy has gone into a state of paralysis at the bottom of his cage.  I talk to him and he comes back around and goes back to his perch.  This has happened twice in a 3 hour span.  Once he comes back to normal state he sings to me again.  He is eating and his stool is normal.  His cheeks are still a vibrant color.  We placed a cloth down to prevent him getting caught between the rungs of the grate but he got tangled so now we have paper down for him.  It is breaking my heart to see this.  He has been in our family for so many years and he always sings to me, dances for me, and lets me hold him but he won't do it for my husband. I am afraid to hold him now as he is quite fragile at his age.  I cannot imagine the silence that will fill our home without Pretty Boy.  Is there anything I can do?  I don't know if he is having strokes or what is causing this periodic state which just started.
It does sound like small strokes but only a vet can tell you for sure. It's so difficult when our little companions get older and frail like this.
Thank you for your response.  Today Pretty Boy has remained on his perch with feathers fluffed and has not sung today or whistled as much as I talk to him he is not filling the house with his song :-(  Thankfully he has had no repeat of yesterdays episodes.  Because of his age and being so frail I fear that transport to vet would do more harm than good.  It's a very difficult time as we just lost our cat Metu of 22 years last Monday and have not adjusted to that void yet.  I have no children so my feathered friends and 4 legged friends are my children, my pride and joy.
Perhaps if Pretty Boy stabilizes over the next few days he might be up for a trip to see the vet. Then again, if it's a matter of getting older, the doctor can't do much for that except make some recommendations for protecting him from falls, maybe dietary changes to make sure he gets enough calories in a day and watch his fluid intake to see that he doesn't become dehydrated.

It is hard to see our little friends get older and get sick. Our cat has cancer and it's too far to do much for her. At this stage we pamper her and give her whatever she's willing to eat. And because she's cold all the time we make sure she has plenty of warm cuddly spots to sleep (yes, that means in bed with us each night under the covers. :-)  The waiting and not knowing which day will be her last is hard.

You are reading content posted in the Birds Community

For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.