Gender of Baby Button Quail Chick

We have a Button Quail Chick that was hatched naturally by the mother - we did not incubate.  How and when can we tell the gender of the chick?  Do we wait for their feathers/colors to come in?  If so, how long does that take?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You can vent sex them when they get older... maybe 8 weeks old...
You have to be very gentle and know what you are doing though...
Also... its pretty cool that they hatched a chick by themselves! Most buttons dont go broody very well...
Arent they the cutest little things when they hatch?? About the size of a dime... :o)
Helpful - 0
From what I'm reading the males in adult plumage will have more intense coloring on the chest, often with a white bib. Females are more subdued coloring. They reach sexual maturity at 3 - 4 months but I haven't found out when they molt into their adult plumage. Depends on their breeding cycle I suppose. I doubt that they take 5 years to attain full adult plumage like a Bald Eagle. Most likely it will be in their first full molt of the year.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Birds Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?