New / Old Bird - Agressive

I recently received a 9 year old cockatail bird from a family member who no longer wanted it. I've had it since a little before Thanksgiving and it's very hostile and aggressive towards people. I have 2 birds now and the one I've had for about a year is starting to act up too hissing and making screeching noises when nothing's wrong.. I'm wondering if there's any way to stop this behavior from the new one..I've tried a lot already and it continues ripping up my hands and fingers >_>..Oh yeah and it's got a tag on it's leg which it dislikes. But I saw it biting at the other leg too today..
Any help would be appreciated please. ......It also started hobbling around today like..like it wus on slippery ice stuff.
Thanks much
I know very little about pet birds. All I know is when you bring a new pet home it's usually best to give them their own space for awhile to settle in and feel safe. It might be best to have only one person spend time with the bird, again, till it feels comfortable and safe with you. The other birds are probably upset about the "intruder", territorial and all that.

When we train a new educational bird we keep it set apart from all the hub-bub of the center and only one person goes in with it. They sit quietly with the bird, talk to it but don't try to touch it. They gradually get closer and then do gentle touches and work up to having the bird briefly step onto the glove (I'm talking about raptors here). It takes months but it's worth it. After the bird calms and accepts being around that one person, then we bring it out to the public area and eventually introduce other people/handlers to it.

I do hope someone with pet birds can speak up and give you specific advice.
It's been staying in my room and I only let one out at a time, since the family member didn't seem to let the older bird out very much it's still learning about things and flying and people. I'll probably give what you said a try, lol I was using a glove sometimes too.
Thanks very much for your time and help =D
You're quite welcome. Poor bird just needs to learn some social skills and manners I guess. LOL Give it time and don't let it bite on your hand.

We're training a raven right now and he has a huge beak as you can imagine. When he tries to chew on the gloved hand, we jerk our hand upwards a little and say "no." It gets his attention and stops the biting. With the vulture we put a finger under his beak and lifted it up so he wouldn't nibble on the glove or our clothes. I don't think you can do that with your cockatiel. He's too little. Good luck with your new friend.  Irene

You are reading content posted in the Birds Community

Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.