dead birds and food

I had 5 gloster & gloster-x canaries. I opened a brand new bag of  gourmet canary and finch food , filled the 5 seed dishes and within 3 hours all five of my birds were dead or dying. One had been sitting on 3 eggs.I contacted the store (Wal-Mart)which sold the seeds and although the manager was sympathetic he could not pull the suspect brand off the shelves as prior to mine,he had never received a complaint. I also wrote to the company which provided the food.... after two days all I received was an acknowledgment that my email had been received and was being considered. He probably never heard a complaint because if one canary, or even two, were to die, who would suspect the food?  Five,on the other hand, within such a short time, should be a red flag - it is to me.I just want to know WHATkilled my birds and to prevent it causing the agony of loss to other bird lovers. I would like to have my deceased birds and the seed tested, but don't know how to go about having this done. Can you advise me in any way?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I doubt the supplier will want to have any fingers pointed at them. Embarrassing and bad for business. I'll ask my vet friend at work, see if she can offer a suggestion for testing the food. Don't toss it just yet.

Depending on the condition of the organs (primarily liver and kidneys), they may or may not be able to test. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Helpful - 0
You can take the birds to your vet to be tested. They can do necropsies and send out tissue samples to a lab. I'm not sure who can test the seed and how much it would cost. Perhaps your vet can direct you. How long has it been since the birds died and where are they now? If it just happened a day or two ago, they should be kept in the fridge, not frozen because freezing damages the tissues.

Another thought is to contact your poison control people. They can't answer the cause but they may know who to contact for testing suspect food.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your info, they died last week on the 17th, but as I had to return to hospital in Victoria I had no recourse other than putting the birds into the Freezer. I'll try to find a vet while I'm here, I and ask questions.I did phone Poison Control, who asked a lot of questions but in the end gave me another phone number which wasn't too helpful.  Still no reply from the supplier.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Birds Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?