lovebird tongue habit

Recently my 7 1/2 year old male peach face lovebird has been sticking out his tongue toward th left side of his beak, for several seconds at a time, very lightly biting it. I wondered if this is a symptom of some condition as i never noticed it before other than him trying to touch his tongue to his reflection in the mirror.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You may want to check in the bird's mouth. Look for any irritations or plaque forming in the mouth or around the glottis. I've seen birds with mouth infections and in order to breath well (due to plaque around the glottis) they may stick their tongue forward. If you see any yellowish/white patches in there, please take him to the vet right away. Some infections are very difficult to clear up.
Helpful - 0
My peach faced lovebird does the same thing. How is you bird now? Is there any problem? Have you figured out the reason?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Birds Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?