Birth Control (Contraception) Forum

Are my problems cause by being on Depo Provera

I am 22 and have a 6 month old son. He was born at 24 weeks and was a micro preemie he is home now doing awesome. they said he was early because I have incompetent cervix, I slept through my labor. Anyways long story short got on depo because I dont want another kid for a long time. Depo is the only birth control I like, I tried several when I was younger but was on depo from 15 to 18. Then after that just condoms. I started depo 3 months ago, went to planned parenthood. I have had non stop spotting and my periods are very close together. I am super tired all the time no matter how much I sleep. I crave chocolate non stop and Im hungrier then normal. My breasts are fine no swelling or tenderness, I didnt gain any weight and I know for sure Im not pregnant. I am semi active, trying to lose the baby weight, I am not a diet just trying to make better choices. I smoke 2 to 3 cigarettes a day and have the occasional glass of wine.I try to drink a lot of water and stay away from sugary drinks. I dont really drink coffee, I hate energy drinks. I dont know whats wrong im due for another shot this month and i dont know if I should get it. Please help me I am so over being tired I dont even want to wake up and play with my son.
Hi!
Congratulations!  I'm so happy that your son is doing well.  As you know, there are a lot of potential problems for those born that early!
If you were my patient, I would advise you to go ahead and get the next depo shot, as it will probably stop or slow down the bleeding.  Depo is SO effective and convenient especially when you have a little one and no time to think!
Your fatigue is very likely caused by the fact that you have just been through a tremendous physical and mental strain--preterm birth, NICU, new mother, etc.  What you probably need most is SLEEP.  
If you stop the depo, chances are that you might end up with another baby, and that is definitely NOT going to help your fatigue!
Good luck!
Dr B