Birth Control (Contraception) Community

Can I take a mini break in my birth control to stop breakthrough bleeding?

I skipped my placebo week last pack and now I am on my third week of my next pack. I started experiencing breakthrough bleeding this week. I am long distance from my boyfriend and am going to be with him starting on Tuesday next week. I was told if I take a 3 day break from my birth control and start a new pack then that could help my breakthrough bleeding stop. Is this true? I know that I would be unprotected for 7 days but that is fine if the bleeding stops.