Birth Control (Contraception) Community

Copper IUD side effects

I had a copper iud put in a little over a year ago after my second child.  I experienced the side effects I was told could happen, worse cramps and heavier bleeding.  I am fine with these because my choice for birth control is very limited because I get blood clots and cannot take the pill.  

However, I am wondering if anyone has experienced a decrease in thier sex drive becasue of it.  I am only 29 years old, married to a very wonderful and attractive man, but honestly I could care less about sex.  I have been this way ever since I had my last child, which is also when i got the iud.  I just assumed it was because I had children and was so busy with them (I have a 2 1/2 year old and one that is almost 1 1/2).  I am starting to think it could also have something to do with the iud.  

I am considering getting it removed to see if this changes anything.  If anyone has experienced anything similiar to this I would appreciate any feedback.

i would say your right, I would say its from the kids!!
Your busy busy busy  and the bedroom means sleeping
They also say though women's sex drive usually doesnt peak until 30-40
Ditto to Cinnamonheart!  Kids do make sex seem more like a chore.  I found that even more when I was working outside the home and trying to keep the house up, take care of kids etc.  it was chaotic and sex was the last thing on my mind.  However since staying home and having my kids (3-7,4,14 months) on a schedule, I have seen a definate increase in my libido.  My kids all go to bed no later than 8:30 pm (7:30 pm in the Winter) and they sleep until about 6:00 am or 6:30 am.  I found that in that two hours or so I have before I go to bed, I really enjoy spending time with my hubby and if he is not home (works 24 hr shifts), then I enjoy the time alone.  I paint my toe nails, eat ice cream, watch T.V., read, and just gather myself. Hopefully this will help you.  My friend told me when I had my first child "The best thing you can do for your kids is to nurture your relationship with your husband."  I believe her.  Good Luck.
I have Mirena, the plastic one and other than the above mentioned stuff (KIDS) I have had no side effects. The copper one contains no medication at all. The plastic one, Mirena, contains small amounts of hormones, but not enough to cause any changes.

It is most likely due to kids. Especially if you feel hubby isn't helping with the kids, sometimes that turns into hidden resentment and lack of interest or attraction.

Sometimes kids just seems to make alone time impossible. If you haven't already, get them on a schedule and get them to bed around the same time. See if someone can watch them while you and dh go on a date, just the two of you.

Good luck!
Andrea
Thanks for all your feedback, I do appreciate it.  You are probalby right, it is the kids.  Especially since my oldest one has the energy level of 10 of me and runs me ragged everyday.  
Dh and me are actually getting away together this weekend for our anniversary, maybe this will bring a little spark back in me.  Thanks again.
My IUD is gone! Does enyone know if it could have gone upward insread of out? My period has been like clock work before and since I got my IUD and now I have missed one. I was very ill for a week, I could not eat or even function for that matter. I feel better now, but I am very stressed about where this thing is. I cannot be pregnant because my husband has had a vasectomy.

Thanks, Trish
It may not be the IUD. When it comes to losing ur sex drive,i had lost mine after my first child.Just so that i could keep our relationship together,I would give him that kind of attention just to make him happy.Even though i just had my third child 7 wks ago,i still havent regained my sex drive. If i didnt care,we would probably only be intimate maybe four to five times a yr  lol

Kat
Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I have the same problem with mine. Since I have it inserted, my sexdrive has decreased, and I have yeast infection all the time.

I'm planning to talk to my doctor, and have it removed as soon as possible.

sit
This year, I am having depression issues...real ones. Now I just had my Copper IUD inserted in august and these symptoms are increasing. I am journaling the week before my menstrual period I get really anxious and depressed. I am seeing a psych, but now I am wondering if it the IUD??? hmm - This was my last call, becasue everything else I have had a terrible response to. Thanks..please let meknow
I am sure deppression and IUD are linked.In fact, look at all of the depressed women in tour 'developed'world today. I do not know about you, but I definitely believe that IUD's not only cause depresion, but since I have put mine in ?mona lisa' my orgasms are not at all what they used to be. Its like i get to a certain level, than I canot go  further. As time passes by I became more and frustated. No wonder I get so depressed. Its not normal. Not to mention that one of my breasts is always aching. I will take mine out this week. There is something truely fishy about all of this.
I had a copper IUD, I definitely experienced cramps, heavy bleading during my menstrual period, acne problem & i've seen a difference with my attitude too. Im always tired and always moody. Im considering of just taking birth control pills an dget rid of this IUD.
i got a copper one inserted 3 weeks ago, its the first time i have had the coil, my baby is 4 months old. i was due my period 7 days ago and im paranoid im pregnant!! which is my idea of hell at the moment, has this happened to any one or is this normal????  i wasnt told my periods would be irregular.
Finally, somone going through the same thing i am, I am 100% sure that all of this is from the IUD, i got the copper IUD when my son was 3 weeks old.... i am a completely different person, i hate myself most of the time, i cant raise my kids right and i am so not interested in sex anymore.... I used to be so  exited about sex, life, my kids, and now my world has seemed to just STOP... i have been fighting with my husband to remove it and we are going to remove it in a few weeks, i am so exited although i dont know what i will do not to get pregnant.... i will never get ANY IUD again... i have had the worst year of my life i am only 21 and my son is13 months.
thanks for all your comments they have helped so much...