Copper IUD side effects

I had a copper iud put in a little over a year ago after my second child.  I experienced the side effects I was told could happen, worse cramps and heavier bleeding.  I am fine with these because my choice for birth control is very limited because I get blood clots and cannot take the pill.  

However, I am wondering if anyone has experienced a decrease in thier sex drive becasue of it.  I am only 29 years old, married to a very wonderful and attractive man, but honestly I could care less about sex.  I have been this way ever since I had my last child, which is also when i got the iud.  I just assumed it was because I had children and was so busy with them (I have a 2 1/2 year old and one that is almost 1 1/2).  I am starting to think it could also have something to do with the iud.  

I am considering getting it removed to see if this changes anything.  If anyone has experienced anything similiar to this I would appreciate any feedback.

Well, honestly, I didn't notice a drop in sex drive after the IUD. Perhaps you can't achieve orgasm for some other reasons? It's a tricky thing and it's easy to stress over. The only thing that affected my sex drive was the worrying of whether or not we were messing it up or if I would embed it during sex. After speaking with my doctor about this, my anxieties are gone. I got mine 9 months ago and I finally feel like I am back to normal. I still have horrendous cramps, though.
To the man that posted about his wife: is she using Paragard or Mirena? The only reason I ask is b/c Mirena uses a small amount of estrogen/progestin to act as a birth control. Some women feel this effect and it may cause mood swings, etc.
And this is going to open a whole  new can of worms, but I recently heard something about IUD and I'm not sure if it's true. I was listening to a radio airing saying that IUDs actually can abort a conceived child. It doesn't prevent (like a Pill or diaphragm, etc.), it actually deals with the pregnancy by basically making the environment uninhabitable for an embryo. Is there any truth to this? It seems right to me, but something makes me very uneasy when I start to think that I could have actually conceived a child, but my IUD terminated it. I had a friend get pregnant twice on the IUD, but she miscarried (obviously). Has anyone ever heard of this?
Has anyone had any change in the smell of your normal discharge. I have never had a problem with this before but since I got the copper IUD my discharge smells a little diffrernt. Should I be concerned? There is no irritation with this smell.
I also have the copper IUD and was looking into side effects to see if it was a result of the implant.  I have been having discharge and odor problems as well and they definitely seem cyclical.  I was wondering if they were caused by the IUD as well.
I have had the copper IUD for about a year now, and i am really lookign into finding otu the side effects of it, there is so much the doctor can tell you compared to what other women  like me have experienced. My periods have being hell! however this is not something that aggrivates me since i preffer that than to be pregnant at this point of my life, however, there is something else, i want to know if the reason for my lack of interest towards sex has decreased or if it is true aboyut hte yeast infections that it can cause. i have notices a substance discharse with a brownish color that hightly bothers me and this is probably why i dotn want to have sex cuz im affraid the fluid will be there!!!! i want advice! i dont know if getting rid of it! i cant do hormones.. i am quite frustrated ! :(
I am 25 years old and have an 18 month old, I'm a stay at home mom and I too have been having many of the same symptoms that a lot of you are having... low sex drive, mood swings, depression, heavy periods, discharge with a different odor. I got my IUD put in about a year ago and wonder if this is the cause of everything or could it be post partum depression? ...then again that wouldn't explain the discharge but it could explain the rest of my symptopms. I'm seeing someone now for the depression, but I'm wondering if the copper IUD is the cause??? The reason why I even got that one inserted was because they said it was non hormonal. Is it possible we are all suffering from some sort of depression or is the IUD to blame??? I'm interested to know your feed back...I'm so considering taking it out now!
I saw this posted on a website about side effects of IUDs:

The Mirena IUD can cause ovarian cysts. Some women using the Mirena stop bleeding altogether. Usually their menstrual periods return when the IUD is removed. Mirena can cause weight gain, headaches, increased blood pressure, acne, depression, and decrease in sex drive.

Also, I have repeatedly seen information that states if you have a strange fluid or odor coming from you vagina, you should get in touch with your health care provider.

You are reading content posted in the Birth Control (Contraception) Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.